ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#30563 10/23/03 12:18 PM
B
While I don't work in the business, my hubby works at a Supply & Rental Co. and the blades don't come free or cheap depending on the tool. I agree with saving the trashed ones to offer as loaners however if they have to abuse the tool to get the spent blade to perform you may have compounded the problem by allowing them to overtax the tool or battery to get the dull blade to work.

I think a sign on your tote, toolbox, or kit that says "Don't even think about asking..." is also a good idea. Part of what happens is that there are people who borrow as a matter of habit or design (rather than pay the price for their own tools) and they know who will and who won't loan. If you are a pushover, you'll be at the top of the list for loaning and their habits won't change in the least except to walk a little farther to find you.
I also believe in the "What goes around..." philosophy but perhaps you can start a new vein of virtue by sending around the 'integrity, higher work ethic and accountability' by being straightforward with the requestor. They can ask nicely and you can decline nicely with good reason and no one has to feel guilty. If you still feel a need to assist someone else in getting their job done, you might establish the policy of loaning to those who appear to take care of the tools they do have and never loan again to those who trash or disrespect your tools.

#30564 10/23/03 01:51 PM
Spark Master Flash,
I wouldn't at all feel guilty about refusing to loan out tools.
I was always taught that part of being a Tradesperson was to have a full set of working tools.
I don't loan tools to anyone, period.
I had a brand new pair of Klien Cable cutters wrecked a few years back and that was the end of my lending tools!.
If you can't turn up with the correct tools for a job, should you even be there?.

#30565 10/23/03 04:27 PM
I once borrowed a friends pick-up and who was also an Electrician ,during the trip I had to replace the Battery and something with the cooling system. I just did the repairs knowing that he would never hesitate to loan me the truck again.I felt obligated to do this as these problems happened while I had the vehicle.

#30566 10/23/03 04:59 PM
I
I can not believe you let these folks get away with damaging your tools with out replacement.

I loan and borrow tools, but if I damage or lose them you can be sure I will go to the store ASAP and replace them.

I borrowed a set of Robo grips from some one and lost them, next day he had a new pair.

I was using a pair of tin snips, I did not notice they fell of my lift till I ran them over. At my lunch time I went to Sears and replaced them.

Of course no one minds if I borrow their tools as they know they will come back as before or new.

If I was you I would put a stop to this immediately, this is sleazy of your coworkers.

One thing though, why are you buying expendables, tape, blades, bits etc. this should be provided by your employer.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#30567 10/23/03 06:00 PM
G
"One thing though, why are you buying expendables, tape, blades, bits etc. this should be provided by your employer."

Exactly what I was thinking!

GJ

#30568 10/23/03 06:11 PM
R
Along the same line as Bob and GJ's question, your company should also furnish the power tools. If you are furnishing your own for your convenience thats fine too, but if it's required, [Linked Image] the borrowers should have been given the same tool list.

Roger

#30569 10/23/03 10:22 PM
A
Spark-Flash Master,

It's a tough situation. I think you've set yourself to be a tool crib for every turkey who isn't sharp enough to be prepared.

As for me, well, if someone wants to borrow something from me, and I think it's someone who's just been too lazy (or stupid) to bring their own, I ask 'em "Why are you asking me? Where are your tools?"

Basically I try to make 'em feel stupid--aversion therapy. They stop asking after a while.

If it's the first time they're asking, I may give 'em the benefit of the doubt and loan the tool--but I look 'em in the eyes and say before I give it to 'em, "I need this right back--and I mean right back". If it doesn't come right back, I go get it. If they damage it, I make it clear that they're going to give me the $$ right now to replace it. Never came to blows over it, but close.

If it's someone who's a habitual borrower (I should say asker), I just say "Nah, I'm needing it right now, go ask someone else."

And yea, some guys get real bent out of shape about this. I don't really care; they're probably not gonna have anything I need, anyway.

If someone on my crew or a fellow sub who I've worked with (and I know and trust) asks, and they're in a jam, I let 'em borrow what they need, no static. And they bail me out, like if I need a second set of big channels.

It's all about setting limits...

Good luck--

Cliff

#30570 10/24/03 04:30 PM
U
Sparkmaster,

As some have said already, YOU have paid good money for these tools. Depending on your situation, you should let the shop provide their own tools. I have tons of tools, not only electrical. I have had both bad and good experiences with this type of situation myselt. Most of my friends know that I'm a nut about my tools. Most all are in excellent shape, are top quality, are clean, work as they should, and have many of the available accessories. I sometimes question the quality of a workman wo doesn't. Perhaps that's arrogant, but I believe that anyone that values his tools as much as I is trustworth, but then again, they would already have their own tools.

You use these tools to make your living. Anyone detracting from that also detracts from your ability to do so. Don't be offended at what the other guy thinks; if he'd screw you with respect to your tools, what the hell do you care about his opinion. It's OK for him to mistreat you and your tools?

I get on my soapbox about what being a professional and a tradesman is compared to an installer. Professionals care! I love the line one electrician gave when he didn't want to work with another electrician that didn't pull his weight. He said: I want a partner, not an opponent.

#30571 10/24/03 07:06 PM
S
Everybody in the company did get a tool list. Why they don't bother bringing those tools to work is a mystery to me.

As for expendables, I ask for new electrical tape and it never arrives. I ask for a new blade and it never materializes. I don't want to hammer my saw with wasted blades, so eventually I buy my own blades.

Thanks for listening to me and giving me advice on this.

#30572 10/24/03 07:30 PM
T
I'd be mighty tempted to make my concerns known to the owner if you haven't done so already.

Donnie
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard