ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 527 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#30289 10/13/03 03:40 AM
Broom Pusher and
I've got a Nextel (Motorolla) i1000 plus Cellular Device, which is my personal Cellular Telephone (and is used for work, too!). Had it since 1999.
Bought it at an Office Supply store under a "Two-For-One" Package Deal, so my Wife and I both have i1000+'s
(makes direct connect actually nice [Linked Image] ).

Prior to this, had a Company supplied Nextel phone, which was in the "Common Field-Look" style of the basic i1000.

In the 1970's, my Father used the "Mobile Telephone" (Radio Telephone in the work truck). I loved that thing - especially the ring function triggoring the Vehicle's Horn Relay!

Late '70s, thru the '80s, our Friend / General Contractor kept his "Mobile Telephone" active, then ended the service around 1991.

I also had a Pager for years. Ended this service just last year.

Was given a Sprint Cellular Telephone for Company use back in April, but it was given to someone else whom lost their phone...again!

<frustration vent>
Reason for taking my cell phone:
... err,,,, ahhh,,, you already have a cell phone;
,,,... duhhh... we are trying to cut costs;
,,,... duhhh... you don't use it that much;
,,,...(insert additional B.S. here!).
</frustration vent>

Actually, the real reason is due to pinheads and their typical pinhead thinking!!!
[Linked Image]

***SMALL THREAD JACK***
Re; Anyone using Nextel Service:

Has anyone setup the newer "Advanced" Voice Mail options? I am referring to the current multi optional greeting schedules, etc...

I need to set this stuff up in tweeked mode, so contacts get ahold of me easier!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#30290 10/13/03 04:07 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott35,
***SMALL THREAD JACK***
Hey, no worries, Scott, I reckon that this is what keeps discussions alive at ECN.
I have always known ECN as a sort of swirling topic sort of place, that's why I just keep coming back, there's always a new idea!. [Linked Image]

#30291 10/13/03 07:44 AM
M
The faster and easier communication becomes, the easier it is to talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime...the closer we are getting to becoming Borg from startrek.

#30292 10/13/03 10:47 AM
F
Interesting enough... but why are there no phone books for cell phones???

This is the most missed marketing opportunity in a lifetime!

#30293 10/13/03 09:54 PM
S
Probably because people change plans and providers so often that it's hard to keep track.

I don't know if you get to keep the same number if you change service providers...

And then you start getting telemarketers on your cellphone and also junk email on the text messaging service..... [Linked Image]

#30294 10/14/03 04:43 PM
P
On the cwll phone plan I have, I have to dial 10 numbers area code + the 7 digit # of the person called.
As cellphones have their own "area" code here, the same sort of thing applies, where you have to dial the full area code plus number, a total of 11 digits.

Still, where overlays have been introduced in the U.S. some people have to dial the full area code plus number even for local calls now.

The keypads on many of the latest cellphones (and other phones for that matter) aren't my idea of well designed.

#30295 10/15/03 12:36 AM
B
The courts just approved something called a portable number. If you switch companies, they have to let you keep the same number if you want it.
One of my nick names is Gorillia Grip because of my strong, stubby hands. Cell phones have gotten unusably small. I think companies are missing a golden market for a ruggedized tradesman phone. I know I'd pay extra for one that could survive falling in the gutter.

#30296 10/25/03 06:32 PM
D
Ref. the phone book for cell phones-

The law (ruling?) allowing the transfer of phone #'s between services will be going itno effect sometime in November '03.

This is a modification of the same law that allowed you to keep your # and switch land-based carriers... but this applies to cell phone / PCS carriers as well.

So if you change from Sprint to MCI to Verizon to AT&T... you'll be able to keep your number - and thus, be able to be listed at that number.

Wonder how much they'll hit us for the "convenience" of a # transfer?

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 10-25-2003).]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard