ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30254 10/09/03 02:52 PM
V
VOLTS Offline OP
Would it be a code violation to modify an 250watt explosionprooof lighting fixture to a 400watt. a new ballast and globe were installed to make it a 400. The argument is that it is still an explosionproof fixture and everything fit. I do not agree with this method, because this is not the watts designed for also the nameplate will no longer be accurate. I can not find it in the code but isn't there something about modifying equipment. Thank You for your time & help!

#30255 10/09/03 03:44 PM
P
I would think that at the very least this would invalidate the UL listing.

#30256 10/09/03 03:45 PM
R
There may be an issue with the heat build up. If you modify the light it is no longer a listed product. Buy the correct fixture.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#30257 10/09/03 07:17 PM
90.7 Examination of Equipment for Safety.

For specific items of equipment and materials referred to in this Code, examinations for safety made under standard conditions provide a basis for approval where the record is made generally available through promulgation by organizations properly equipped and qualified for experimental testing, inspections of the run of goods at factories, and service-value determination through field inspections.

This avoids the necessity for repetition of examinations by different examiners, frequently with inadequate facilities for such work, and the confusion that would result from conflicting reports on the suitability of devices and materials examined for a given purpose.

It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.

FPN No. 1: See requirements in 110.3.

FPN No. 2: Listed is defined in Article 100.

FPN No. 3: Annex A contains an informative list of product safety standards for electrical equipment.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#30258 10/14/03 07:39 PM
J
Part of the UL criteria for such equipment is that the outside not exceed certain temps, during various tests. What's the point if the case gets hot enough to ignite the dust of vapor?
Don't do it.

Link Copied to Clipboard