ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#30063 10/01/03 10:54 AM
A
Andrew Offline OP
I'm just getting back into industrial work and I see that Fluke keeps pushing their CAT ratings on their meters. I have an older Fluke that works just fine but doesn't seem to be CAT rated. It seems like it is some safety standard. Can anyone help me understand whether this is important or whether it's just another marketing gimmick? Are other meters CAT rated?

R
I'm not sure, but the CAT ratings must be for the ability to interface with a computer, via one of the rated cables (CAT 3, CAT 5, CAT 6), in order to download info to a software program. If you are not doing this, then the rating is useless to you.

My opinion only.

Rick Miell

T
I believe it has to do with overvoltages:
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/lexicon/Overvoltage.stm

R
The rating pertains to how close to the utility line you may be while using the meter.
I believe CAT1 being suitable for branch circuit measurement, CAT4 being suitable for measurement right at the secondary terminals of a distribution transformer.
The others, somewhere in between.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-01-2003).]

B
Er, Fluke ain’t makin’ this stuff up. It’s evolved from UL Standard 61010B-1. The various “CAT” ratings are installation/overvoltage categories with Category III and IV having the highest overvoltage withstand.

One way to look at it... The higher the circuit voltage and short-circuit capability where the meter is applied, the higher the needed CAT rating. {It's nice if the meter in your hand does not vent flames or detonate in the process of checking voltage in a live panelboard.}

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-01-2003).]

B
Aside — The “CAT” installation-/overvoltage-category ratings here are not the same as that for bandwidth in EIA/TIA 568 datacomm wiring.

B
UL’s stated objective of “1010” is to: …provide adequate protection for the OPERATOR and the surrounding area against:

- electric shock or burn;
- mechanical hazards;
- excessive temperature;
- spread of fire from the equipment; …
- liberated gases, explosion and implosion.

[http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/61010B-1.html]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-01-2003).]

I
{It's nice if the meter in your hand does not vent flames or detonate in the process of checking voltage in a live panelboard.}

You safety minded folks take all the fun out of being an electrician. [Linked Image]

Fireworks are beautiful any time of the year. [Linked Image]

OK, I admit it, I have a Category III. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
Those miniature 250V glass fuses in some multimeters will very effectively make your ears ring during unintentional 480V “interruptions”—believe me. They may also bring rapid and unwanted attention from superiors—and not of the “atta’ boy” variety.

I
Kidding aside I think we can forget that using any meters can be dangerous.

Someone I know received some serious burns on both hands from a phase rotation meter.

Apparently the 3 permanently attached leads where they entered the meter had a short in them from years of use and probably abuse (carrying it by the leads)

Now of course he should have had PPE on but this goes back to forgetting that S*** can happen even when doing the most mundane tasks.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard