ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Stopped by a neighborhood hardware store after lunch.

Saw a pair of scissors labelled by Klein as "Electrician's Scissors". They also were selling a stripping knife (with a short stumpy blade). Never seen one of those before...didn't think they still made that, what with all the spring-loaded stripping tools we have these days.

What was the scissor used for and how did it differ from conventional household scissors?

Klein's website showed two types: One with stripping notches and one that was a plain ol' scissor.

What about the "electrician's hammer"? How is this any different from a regular carpenter's claw hammer? The picture on Klein's website showed one....and it looked like a regular hammer to the untrained eye.

D
Scissors most likely had two small notches for stripping insulation.

Short stubby knife (looks like one of those snap-off blade jobs - without the snap offs) is for cutting cable insulation

Electrician's hammer has a longer poll (the "neck" between the striking face and the body) to allow it to reach into deep boxes - most carpenter's hammers would catch the edge of the box.

P
I have a pair of electrician's scissors that I got from Jensen Tools some years ago.

They do indeed have a couple of stripping notches on them, not that I use them. The main blades are quite useful for trimming the cotton and nylon fillers used in some cords.

G
I'm just winging it but I think the scissors might have been for low voltage work. It seems like the data guys always carried them. What size wire were the stipping holes for?
As far as an electrician's hammer, I always thought it was defined by the straight claw on the back instead of the curved nail puller. I know its good for something that I have used it for before but right now that escapes me. I'll have to check out the poll on mine.

B
Splicer's scissors {Klein 2100} have serrated blades and are intended to cut up to 19AWG 'PIC' (plastic-insulated conductor) cable.

I
The electricians hammer has the straight claw as Gunther said and the longer striking head as Doug said to reach into boxes.

The bad side is this makes the whole hammer head very long and difficult to swing between joists if you need to for staples.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Has anyone used the lineman's knife he is referring to? I see them at the supply house and I've wondered if they would be easier (and safer) to use than a regular pocket knife on big cable. I've had a couple close calls with my pocket knife.
Brian

G
Is that the knife with the hooked end? I got one with my original tool set and did use it on stripping the end of bigger cable. When I say stripping I mean in a penciling fashion, being careful not to nick the wire. These days about the only knife I carry is a razor knife, but I did get a mean look when an old fart asked me for my pocket knife and I told him I didn't have one on me. All in all, the hooked knife was really more useful to me than a regular knife. I think it had to do with maybe the thick and wide blade and being easy to push. Also the hook came in handy occaisionally.

S
yes Brian, i've used the klien 'linesman's knife' to strip and make onto OH drops.

one less potiential point of contact...

T
Lineman's Knife:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Electrician's Scissors (with notches):

Cable Splicer's Knife:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard