ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#29502 10/26/03 03:52 PM
I
Those who have the biggest tool boxes are not necessarily the best.

Many times a large inventory of tools is a way to divert attention from lack luster performance.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#29503 10/26/03 03:59 PM
T
I do occasionally strip wires with linemen's pliers, mostly 'cause I got a strong talent for storing my stuff somewhere I'll never find it again. A pair of old linemen's is usually the easiest thing to find somewhere. I try just to score the plastic but not cut it all the way through on either side, then I take it with the pliers and pull it off. Works good but definitely isn't ideal. I used to have something like the tool on the picture, it even autosensed the wire thickness, but after half a year of moderate use it fell apart. *GRRRR*

#29504 10/27/03 12:02 PM
J
intresting discussion!
just to comment on what people feel most comfort with, i think what ever tool they choose to use for the job is fine as long as the job is correct and safe.
last week there was a joiner making off a three core flex with a chisel ready for a plug top,whilst he went off looking for a plug i inspected his work and found nothing wrong (could not have done it better my self....with side cutters!!!!)
i also use my pliers for crimping (incorporated crimping nipple) with respect to the size of crimp, one electrician could not believe i used this tool for this job! and so i crimped a through crimp on to a scrap end of cable and told him if succesful in pulling the crimp off with his hands, i would be glad to dispose of the tool.to this day they sit in my tool box awaiting many more crimping sessions.I also use my trusty pliers for reaming 20/25mm conduit! (just like in elec school)
ps i also use a big old screwdriver as chisel and only for a chisel, his name is george [Linked Image]

i will hang my hat up the day i am sent off site for using side cutters for stripping!!

[This message has been edited by james S (edited 10-27-2003).]

#29505 10/28/03 12:03 PM
In the USA, I think that an electrical inspector would Red Tag a job if they saw where the conductor(s) that is/are terminated on a circuit breaker, or fuse termination ---- if the solid, or even the stranded 14, 12, or 10 AWG wire were "NICKED"!!

I personally used and have no problem with the use of a linesman pliers to skin away the wire, but if a qulaified person or installer doesn't have the "feel" down pat, the wire will be NICKED, and a simple movement forward, and back will break the wire at the point where the "nick" in the wire was located.

Most of the training publications show using a knife, a dull one at that.

I haven't had time to look into the new NECA, NEIS Standards to see what they show.

Any new kids going through school somewhere? What are they teaching you to use?

PS: NEIS = National Electrical Installation Standards by the National Electrical Contractors Association.

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#29506 10/28/03 10:58 PM
[Linked Image]

See the Side-cutting knives at hinge.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#29507 10/29/03 03:18 PM
M
You mean I've been using my sidecutters as a hammer for years and all this time I could have been using it to strip wires?

Mark

#29508 10/29/03 06:20 PM
E
After reading all this thread about using sidecutters as strippers I decided to try it today. For 12 and 14 awg it does a fairly good job and did not nick or damage the conductor at all. I thought it was a lot slower than my T-Strippers, though. I guess if you got used to it and didn't have to switch tools as ofter it might be OK, but I'll stick to using my strippers as strippers and my sidecutters as a hammer like it was designed to be.

#29509 10/29/03 06:25 PM
P
The problem with using pliers for crimping terminals is that you can appear at first to have a joint which is mechanically sound, but which in reality isn't.

The "one size fits all" crimping jaws on some pliers might just about be suitable for certain terminals, but there's really nothing to beat a crimping tool designed for the terminals in use.

#29510 10/29/03 07:38 PM
S
I believe the crimper in your average Klien linemans pliers is for crimping ground barrels. It does a perfect job.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#29511 10/29/03 08:00 PM
R
Special Tools- Connectors to be assembled to wire using a special tool are to be assembled using the tool specified by the manufacturer on or in the connector shipping carton. Such tools are identified by appropriate marking.
The above is from the UL Guide Information for Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV).
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard