ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#29472 09/20/03 02:33 AM
G
gunther Offline OP
I emailed the Klein company and recieved a phone call yesterday from one of their representatives. He was surprised that anyone was using sidecutters like this and was of the opinion that the proper tool should be used for the job. On the other hand, I spoke with a local inspector who admitted that he had done this before and said that he wouldn't tell someone how to use their tools, but said that one mistake would be too many. The reason I am of the opinion that this practice is wrong is because of having worked with someone who did it and when I went behind him in a j-box and pulled out a joint, one of the wires in a wire nut broke off. I will not allow this practice on any job I am responsible for and know that it wouldn't be allowed on most of the jobs I have been on. It seems to me the main proponents are residential electricians and not commercial.

#29473 09/20/03 06:37 AM
F
I may only do one or two machine build projects a year anymore but they all use those cheap five dollar strippers that only have one V shaped hole.If you ask me these strippers can a alot of the time do a worse job than side cutters ect.I have yet to see pair of T-Strippers in a machine shop.I think in the end it boils down to the amount of expertice you have with the tools that you use.Some guys will still hack the crap out of wire with the proper tool while others will not with any tool.As for the Klein rep he must be new because most of the older guys have been doing it for decades and are the first to complain when a job is being done in a sub-standard way.In the end you need to use what works best for you.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-20-2003).]

#29474 09/20/03 07:28 AM
I guess I'm greatly outnumbered!
I've been using strippers for >30 yrs, and the T-strippers since I first saw them on the market.
The only time I use a pair of side cutters or diagonals are in a pinch, when my beloved strippers aren't close at hand (very rarely).
I replace the strippers as soon as they begin to get dull.
(No, I don't knick the heck out of wires) [Linked Image]

#29475 09/20/03 07:32 AM
E
Ok gunther I see your agenda clearly now. You have a problem with "residential" electricians. Whatever that means. Well hold on to your hat buddy 'cause here comes another bombshell. I use my screwdriver as a chisel!

#29476 09/20/03 08:23 AM
G
I use my sidecutters for strippers sometimes when making up switches. Usually use strippers on a panel.

Sidecutters will also drive staples and nails. [Linked Image]

#29477 09/20/03 09:55 AM
R
gunther,
He was surprised that anyone was using sidecutters like this and was of the opinion that the proper tool should be used for the job.
What would you expect a guy from a company that sells both sidecuts and strippers to say? You think he'd say that you only need to buy one tool?
I see no problem using the sidecuts to strip wire. Just because you use a stripper, doesn't mean that you won't damage the wire. It is all a matter of knowing how to ues your tools. Many electricians who twist the wires before installing the wirenut will use their sidecuts to strip the wire and then use the same tool to twist them together.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#29478 09/20/03 09:59 AM
G
gunther Offline OP
Electricman, If I would define my "agenda" it would be to discuss what I consider is a controversial practice in an honorable trade. IMO there is a big difference between using your screwdriver as a chisel or your kleins as a hammer and , for instance, teaching a greenie to do something that may cause problems until he gets the feel or experience to do in a "correct" manner. It seems that the emphasis seems to be on the speed of doing a job rather than the craftsmenship and quality that goes into it. I have done and continue to do residential work myself, so your theory is wrong. If you want to know what I think about something all you have to do is ask rather than to assume.

#29479 09/20/03 10:56 AM
P
To lighten this up a little!

In my first apprentice class, we discussed tool safety and ladder safety. They instructed us to not use the screwdriver as a chisel or prybar, and to not use the sidecutters as a hammer or wire stripper. The next day on the job that was totally ignored.

I myself use the separate strippers and have found that when I do use my sidecutters that it is physically more difficult.
There is almost always a proper tool for the proper job, but I do have this to say. There are some who have been taught to use their sidecutters for stripping wire and they are very good at it. They have developed a 'feel' for it and to ask them to change after years of practice is not going to cut it (no pun intended).
The moral of this story is; depending on how you have been taught is how you will do it, and if you are doing it properly either way so be it!

BTW - I agree with the original poster in that this can be a friendly thread, he was just wondering what others do.
Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#29480 09/20/03 11:43 AM
Pierre,

Well said. I was trying to formulate a similar reply.

Gunther,

First: Welcome to ECN.

I have always used a stripper except in odd situations where it is not readily available. I've never gotten used to using anything else. I know people that don't always use a stripper and have never seen a problem with their work.

What does everyone think about sidecutter stripping being shown on a Home TV show?

Bill

Bill
#29481 09/20/03 11:46 AM
E
I carry Ideal T-Strippers in pouch at all times. When setting up wire pulls of solid wire it is invaluable to strip longer lengths to be able to stagger heads of sets. Also, when putting on recptacles and switches and the circuit is on it is 100 times easier to strip the end of the wire to attach to the terminal. One squeeze and pull is all it takes. I remember coming home years ago after making what seemed to be 1000's of joints and my thumb was sore for days from pushing insulation off wire with linesman pliers. To each his own, but like they say "There is a proper tool for every job"

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard