ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Electrical Inspections via Laptop or Handheld?

Are any electrical inspectors entering their inspection results from the field using a wireless method in real time via laptops, handhelds, etc.?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
We are discussing going that route in the (very) near future. In the mean time, if you would like to contact someone using these at the present time, send me an e-mail and I can get you in touch with them.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Joe:
WE enter inspection results on a desktop when we return to the office. Laptop? Handheld? not even any talk of it.

John

John
N
Joe
I was told that all NE State inspectors use computers/laptops or were at least issued them. I have not heard how effectice this is.

ed
M
Here (around the Buffalo, NY area) UL inspectors all use laptops to keep all their info together. I understand they download the days inspections and data to the home office around 5PM each night. The service is fast.

E
Whoa not so fast. Alot of these guys around here don't even use pencils. Let's start them off slowly.

We have come a long way baby! I can operate my computer from anywhere, and the technology gets better all of the time!

Go for it...

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
Collier (Naples) Fl is using some sort of wireless PDA for their inspection according top my favorite builder but they are the only jurisdiction locally. Lee county uses a computer system but it only updates once a day when the inspectors turn in their paper tickets. You can look at the permit online.

Greg Fretwell
T
Broadband Wireless Internet is rolling out nationally right now.

It will transform the construction and service fields.

The collapse of Laptop prices will make it necessary for everyone to have one in each service van in short order. Ditto for photo-shooting cell phones.

I suspect most government officials will get on board last of all.

The ability to shunt e-mails around -- full screen -- and to send confirmed and approaved change orders out to the field: priceless.

Tesla
H
In one of my towns, I did have a small handheld unit that I would drop off to the office every night. I myself did not like it. The screen was too small and hard to read. ( I hate getting older!)LOL. There was not a lot of room to make notes and comments. There was no "Partial rough/final" either the job passed or failed. Nothing in between and sometimes, you have to give a little. For example, the top floor is rough but not the first floor. You would allow the homeowner to rough and insulate the top floor before they started construction on the first floor. This way you don't disrupt the household too much. The handheld doesn't see it that way. There were several other minor reasons, that I don't remember right now. I was happier keeping my own records.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard