ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sparky Offline OP
http://www.fec.org/FEC.nsf/?Open

Is there an 'electrical mafia'??

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-29-2001).]

F
Sparky,

What is Federated Electrical Contractors? I never heard of that.

Steve,
Most certainly there are a few involved in the electrical trade.
We've got ABC, NECA, NEMA, The CMPs are just packed with special interests.
I've not heard of this "Federated" bunch before, but I lost confidence when I read the "State of the Are" on their site. Why not Arc? or Arf? (or maybe even Art).

Not to light a fuse for a bomb, but the IBEW?

S
sparky Offline OP
I just stumbeled onto the site surfing, i know nothing of them. There is an international map of their network, i thought maybe someone here new of them?

G
Two of their member companies that I know about are IBEW employers. Is this an association independent of NECA just for market share enhancement or is it affiliated with NECA or is NECA having discontent in the ranks?

S
sparky Offline OP
I talked to NECA, they are primarily IBEW. maybe these guys decided to do thier own thing, for reasons you've stated? Note they are larger companies...
[Linked Image]

B
electure:

No I dont believe this is part of the IBEW, first Contractors are considered Employers, therefore can not join the Union. As far as a contractor goes they can become a Union shop, or become a Union Signatory, but is not considered a member and gets none of the union benefits.
A contractor who is self-employed and himself as an employee can join the union, but still can not vote, nor can he supply to NECA any benefits because he is an employer as well as the employee, sort of a catch 22.

N
OK, you guys hit a nerve!
The company I have worked for for the last 10 years is an active member of the Federated Electrical Contractors. Our president is a former chairperson. Yes it is an association of large union contractors, yes it is independant of NECA ……..Well rather than me ramble go here.> http://www.morrow-meadows.com/affiliations/fec/federated.htm
This explains it pretty good.

N
Actually it is this groups answer to providing national coverage to customers rather than selling their company to one of those large roll up groups. They also share the cost AND RISK of doing large ($20Mil +) projects. Especially when they are out of town. For instance we did the San Bernardino County Medical Center Replacement Project in joint venture with Sturgeon Electric out of Colorado. This was a $33 Million dollar project which costs and profits were split. The Idea is if you get a job out of the area that you normally work in you can team up with a member who is local to the area where you want to go. That member already has a local work force, relationships with the local unions, and suppliers. It cuts down the risk of working out of town while keeping your customer base happy and well serviced.

Link Copied to Clipboard