ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I've been looking for a screw-in CFL bulb that will put out WHITE light. Not pinkish...and certainly not that putrid blue that I seem to run across so much.

But it seems like all the ones I see in stores put out either a blue-ish tinted light or a slightly pink light (not as harsh on the eys as the blue) even after I let the lamp warm up for half an hour.

The NYCTA uses what looks like CFLs in their train tunnels (they also use the metal halide lamps in some areas but those are teardrop shaped and blueish) that do seem to put out a white light. It's sort of shaped like half a medicine capsule.

I seem to remember that's what they all looked like when CFLs were introduced, but now they come in all sorts of shapes (corkscrews, litle U tubes, globes, etc. etc.).

Has anyone shifted to screw-in CFL's in their fixtures and can recommend a good brand?

I've seen the circline tubes used in these adapter brackets that screw into a lightbulb socket...but those are EXPENSIVE compared to a standard bulb-sized CFL; althoug they seem to put out a better light.

Thanks!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

B
It may be that part of the problem is producers playing games to get EPA efficiency ratings as high as possible. 'Cooler' phosphors typically yield higher lumens/watt numbers compared to 'warmer' phosphors. I don't mind the color so much as some of the earlier {still working/not burned out yet} CFLs that have ~1 second starting delay.

F
ok as far for CFL they do come few diffrent color variation like 28K ,31K, 41K and i belive they do have something like 50K but kinda rare most common is 28K or 41K but 31K is between the two and seems sell quite a few of them too but bear in mind the manfactures have somekind of tourance ( variation) between bubs but really want white just read the label on the CFL and it will tell the "colour temp"

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
Sven:
Have you looked around in the orange store? They used to have "outdoor light" CFLs, I don't recall the brand, but the light is supposedly similar to daylight.

Maybe they stopped carrying them..?

Sven,
I tend to use Philips lights and fluorescent tubes over here, as I have found them to be really reliable and they seem to have an endless range of colour temperatures available.
Try this site:
http://www.lighting.philips.com/nam/product_database/

Broom Pusher and
Have installed CFLs with Color Temperatures of 3500K and 4100K - seen a few 5300K (I believe).
These were not the type with the incorporate Ballast and Medium Base Screwshell connection - such as the common end user replacements for 120 VAC medium based Incandescent Lamps. They are CFLs used within a Fixture, which houses the Ballast (typical 2 and 4 pin Lamps).

A Metal Halide "Color Corrected" type Lamp gives off nearly target white light.

Also, Fluorescent Lamps in the "SPX" categories will produce a more "Tolerable" light color output.

Also, the age of a Lamp (from usage) affects the output color, so expect the color to shift towards Orange-ish (warmer / lower "K" value) as Lamp ages.

Check out the site which Trumpy linked, and you will find some options.

Lastly, Marc (frenchelectrician) has made some very good points towards available colors, plus variables between Manufacturers.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard