ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 382 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#29081 09/08/03 11:38 AM
B
Bill39 Offline OP
New topic on workmanship. How do everyone else do it?
He once made me straighten out the tubing on a wall because his level showed where it was not straight, I said dad I only followed the block on the wall!

The above is a touchy subject. As an apprentice I had different jouneymen bawl me out for doing it either way.

Now I usually make the conduit follow the block lines on the wall.

#29082 09/08/03 12:37 PM
R
I always followed the block. To the casual observer the pipe will look wrong, no matter who is right.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#29083 09/08/03 12:47 PM
C
C-H Offline
Not that I've ever installed conduit on a wall, but I'd say that anything that goes onto a wall should follow the lines of the wall. In this case the block lines. I've seen horrors like a new ceiling mounted level in a tilting old room.

#29084 09/08/03 02:21 PM
Broom Pusher and
I will follow Building Lines when running certain things, rather than level (per Torpedo, etc)- when the installation calls for it.

Human nature will follow the overwhelming structural lines and interpret those as "Normal".
If the building lines are not plumb, it goes unnoticed.
If Conduit is run level per a Torpedo, but not plumb with the building lines, it will be very noticable.

These are (actually "were") issues which came up alot in my former long term trade specific industry (Banks).

CCTV Camera brackets, long runs of 3000, 4000 and 6000 Wiremold Raceways, and similar items.

We would follow Ceiling lines for measurements (measure down from the ceiling, rather than up from the floor), and things turned out looking perfect - even though they may be as much as 5% off plumb!

This applies to only the situations which merit such applications.
When it comes to running Conduits across the wall of a Concrete Tilt-Up, then it's back to the Torpedo!

Including a personal $0.02
Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#29085 09/08/03 03:13 PM
E
Last week I was working on a machine shed, bending conduit and going up/down, up/down the ladder getting it all fastened to the trusses, etc. I was on my last piece, working on a 90-degree bend and carried it up to the ceiling. (Keep in mind my wife called my cell wanting to know when I'd be home, you know, that kind of call.) When I put it in the fitting, it wasn't quite level with the support beams between the trusses (like 3/8" too high). It was way up there, no one would know, but like many of you said "I know it's there!" So I took it back down, cut off 3/8" off the end, and then it fit perfectly.

I, too, love this trade and strive for quality craftsmanship. Some houses I've worked in have had some amazing conduit jobs that looked like a robot made them and it leaves a lasting impression on me that the prior electrician took pride in his/her work, and I hope to leave that impression for the jobs I do. Keep up the good work all of you!

#29086 09/08/03 04:35 PM
I
As with the rest of the posts I will follow existing lines most times.

But nothing is a hard and fast rule, you gotta make decisions to fit the job. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#29087 09/08/03 09:31 PM
E
I know that America is a great country and it is a great country because tradesmen like you all built it. I too try to use the code as my bible to show me the way. Rarely do I have a conflict with the code and my gut instincts when making a decision. But there have been instances where I have strayed from the path. It is obvious that this board is not the place to discuss them. Who said "Some things are better left unsaid?:
May God bless you all.
Bob

#29088 09/08/03 10:21 PM
G
It's a pleasure to look at professionally installed,neat conduit.

I pull romex mostly,but still try my best to do a neat professional job.If I'm ever able to post pics of our work, I will do so.

I hope when I,m gone,someone will tear into a wall,look and say"That guy did a good job"

Russell

#29089 09/13/03 06:02 AM
P
I remember working on one site where the siding contractor was not being paid on time. He started putting his siding on with a level, and was paid quickly.

#29090 09/13/03 01:36 PM
P
A few years ago I was on a demo job. As we were taking the job apart one of the guys mentioned, " this guy must have worked real hard to do such a good job" a little later we came to a label on the wall. It had my father's name on it. I will never forget that!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge

Link Copied to Clipboard