ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28940 09/04/03 10:32 PM
R
rj Offline OP
I am probably having a big brain fart on this one, but hear goes. I had a pressure washer that I tried running off of a generator tonight. I would turn the pressure washer on it would run for about 5 seconds and then the motor would stop turning. I have not torn into the pressure washer yet. I was wondering if it was not going to the run windings and shutting off. It is a 120v unit, I used it last year and it worked fine. This is a old washer and it has 3 capacitors. Like I said this is probably a dumb guestion, and I think I am having BIG brain fart. It has been a long day. THanks

#28941 09/05/03 11:04 AM
rj,
What size generator do you have running the pressure washer?.
Water-blasters (as they are called here) have a huge start up current, hence the large number of capacitors.
But 3 of them?, in a Cap Start, Cap Run motor, there should be 2 capacitors.
All these capacitors do, is improve the power factor of the start and run currents and to a certain extent, lessen the curretnt load through the centrifugal switch on these motors. [Linked Image]

#28942 09/05/03 11:44 PM
F
you have to explain little more clear for the pressure washer and the hp rating and the 3 capatiors useally are set as one very large one for starting and 2 smaller one for running aka captior start and capatior running motor and if keep blowing fuse or stall the generator check the starting swtich and some case the generator can be too small for pressure washer usage bear in mind the motor can start anywhere from 4 to 6 time over running current ( it do apply all motors expect dc type that is diffrent story )

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#28943 09/06/03 08:53 PM
P
You could try starting it with the wand open, to lower the pressure and possibly lowering the load on the motor.
It may also be the 'cut-off' pressure is set to high. What does the gauge read when the motor is dropping out?

#28944 09/08/03 12:00 AM
Broom Pusher and
I'm in favor with Marc's (Frenchelectrician) post.
3 Capacitors would (normally) indicate a Capacitor Start / Capacitor Run type
Induction Motor.
This Motor could very well be intended to be run at 230 VAC 1Ø (but not absolutely!).

Two Capacitors would be in the Start circuit (for a very large starting value), and the third one (also in the aux. circuit)
would be the "Run" Capacitor. The Run Cap would be much smaller than the Start Caps.

Several reasons for the stalling include:

<OL TYPE=A>

[*] Frozen / sticky Bearings on the Motor, the Pump, or both,

[*] Extremely high head pressure,

[*] Incorrect operating Voltage,

[*] Voltage too low,

[*] Genny cannot produce enough locked rotor power,

[*] Failed Start Capacitor(s) - shorted or open,

[*] Centrifugal Start Switch is not closed for Start,
or

[*] Centrifugal Start Switch is not opening after Starting Sequence has taken place.
</OL>

An extremely apparent, but maybe overlooked item may be a Polyphase Motor???
Capacitors would be there only for P.F. correction... sounds very unlikely to me... but....

Chances are the problem is a result of sticky bearings, or something similar, which would keep the pump / Motor from rotating freely.
Check the obvious first, then move up towards internal or system troubleshooting.
Start with the simplest stuff first.

If the problem(s) turn out to be internal, check the Capacitors. If you need help on Cap tests, let us know.

Good luck!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard