ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
GSS Offline OP
I am the owner of a new small sign company and have been looking for days trying to find information on which license would allow me to get a permit, install, and make the final electrical connection. I thought the license I was looking for was called an equipment installers license, but I haven't had any luck finding any info.

Any info or links you guyes know of that deal with any/all of these type of issues would be greatly appreciated.

Later...

GSS,

I don't have an answer for you at this time, but wanted to mention that rules are different all over the US (other places too [Linked Image] ). It would be best if you gave more information; specifically the State and area where you are looking to work.

Bill

Bill
GSS,

I found TN in your profile.
These people should have an answer for you:

Licensing Contractors Board
500 James Robertson Pkwy
Davy Crockett Tower
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
(615) 741-8307

Bill

Bill
G
GSS Offline OP
Thanks for the info Bill Addiss, finding info about which licenses are required seems impossible. Like you said, every state is different, as far as the net goes, when you limit your search to one state, that is what you get, limited info. It would be nice to be familiar with what is required before I start asking questions.

Government and small buisness don't always have the same intrests, I'm intrested in what it takes to be legal.

Thanks
Later...

W

GSS,

I think if you called the telephone number above they should be able to tell you the requirements (if any) or at least point you in the right direction.

The lack of information there on the website would lead me to believe that Licensing (if any) is controlled at a more local level. If you have a local Building department, dept of consumer affairs, or know an inspector or fire marshall you can ask them too.

Bill

Bill
D
I know in our City you have to specify which license (and exam) you are applying for. We have 3 "electrical" licenses - HVAC, sign, and electrician. Different tests with different # of questions. Each "specialty" license has diffferent restrictions as well, usually limiting installations to your specific field.

Have you called your AHJ (municipal or county inspector) for clarification?

W
Maine has a license for sign installers. Not sure how many sign guys actually have it though

Link Copied to Clipboard