ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28829 09/01/03 10:31 PM
I was just 'talking' to Paul today about something and thought of the Krell. Does anyone remember the Forbidden Planet? The Id?
The huge underground Machine? it's a classic.

I can't help wondering what their Power System looked like ....

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#28830 09/01/03 11:20 PM
G
Wasn't Walter Pidgeon the scientist? I think Carol Lynnly? was his daughter.

I wonder how many of us could use that headset to make that ball move? [Linked Image]

Russell

#28831 09/02/03 12:06 AM

Bill
#28832 09/02/03 03:57 PM
P
I love Sci-Fi. I grew up watching it, and I still like to watch those lovely old 1950s sci-fi pictures.

Bill and I were chatting about TV sci-fi as well last night. Here's a copy of an e-mail I sent him with some links to British TV shows:

Dr. Who was a long-running show with several different actors playing the lead role over the years (for which there is a perfectly good sci-fi explanation). Ask different generations who was the best "Doctor" and you'll get a rough idea of their ages. [Linked Image]

It was made on a very low budget (by American standards), but has attained something of a cult following, even in America. It's hard to describe this to someone who's not been outside the U.S., but the show certainly exudes a very British atmosphere in its humor, etc.

Here's a summary (go to the Brief Introduction for Beginners link):

A Brief History of Time (Travel): Introduction

Blakes 7 was a much shorter lived series, but it's another show which has attained an almost cult following. The show has much, much darker undertones than you'll find in Star Trek, and was based around a mottley crew of outlaws on the run from an evil federation

What is Blakes 7 ?

I found this comparison while searching, which is pretty accurate:

Star Trek v. Blakes 7

And finally, one of my favorites of the 1970s, Space 1999. Although British produced, it had many American actors, including Martin Landau and Barbara Bain (ex Mission Impossible) and Barry Morse (by which time he'd finished trying to hunt down Richard Kimble to take back to Indiana! <G> ):

SPACE: 1999

#28833 09/02/03 04:50 PM
B
The first one that really snagged me was the short-lived "Men Into Space" in 1959-60. This was about during the time of the more popular Lloyd Bridges and "Sea Hunt." *Campy* Flash Gordon just didn’t do it for me.

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]

#28834 09/02/03 07:31 PM
C
wow! [Linked Image] glad someone brought this up. i love sci-fi. lost in space,big twilight zone fan.as a matter fact bought every episode on dvd. [Linked Image].also star trek the next generation ,also the old one.anyone else like the above?just rembered one more doctor who.

[This message has been edited by circuit man (edited 09-02-2003).]

#28835 09/03/03 06:57 AM
P
I grew up watching many of the Irwin Allen productions as well. To Lost In Space, I'll add Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel .

The latter puts me in mind of the more modern Quantum Leap , which I enjoyed as well.

The Twilight Zone was a great concept for a show. I haven't seen it re-run on British TV for several years.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-03-2003).]

#28836 09/03/03 07:03 AM
S
robby the robot was a big hit in that movie...
[Linked Image from umich.edu]

btw~ do you know who the ship's captian ( i.e.= leading man) was ?

#28837 09/03/03 11:04 AM
S
I just got done reading H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, which is over 100 years old. What a brilliant wordsmith, such an imagination, great detail that makes you believe it, feel it and see it, he really knew how to put the reader right there. Back when it came out, it must have made people almost forget they didn't have air conditioning. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, and to those who read it long ago, to re-read it. The man had talent.

#28838 09/03/03 03:36 PM
R
I'm not much on sci-fi movies, which comes from reading too many books, and then being disappointed when the movie came out.

Many years ago, our town had a city library. I started reading just sci-fi (skipping fantasy), starting with the A's. I skipped over a few I had read before that (such as Asimov), but stuck with it until the middle of the alphabet, when the city decided to build a new library.

I couldn't remember where I left off, and had no way to tell, so I started with the Z's and worked backwards.

That worked great until, around the middle again, I quit for awhile. Did not have to much spare time for reading. I did (don't tell the librarian!!) make a reference mark in the front of the book, with my initials and month/year, so I could keep track.

I recently started up again, and again started with the A's. There sure is alot of junk sci-fi out there, but a few gems. I am now at Arthur C. Clark, so I think I will be here for awhile. He is fast becoming one of my favorites. One thing I tried to do was to start with the 1st book in a series, at least as much as the library had on the shelves, which for the most part, they don't.

Unfortunately, the library classifies fantasy as sci-fi, but a quick look at the cover will tell you if you are going to be reading about dragons or spacemen, so that is not much of a problem.

Don't get me wrong, there have been a few good movies, but by and large, they are not hardly as good as a good book, but that seems to be true of all genre.

H.G. Wells is another favorite.

Rick Miell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard