ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#28778 08/29/03 08:48 PM
D
dugmaze Offline OP
It seems most jobs are bid jobs but does anyone ever charge by the hour only?

L
LK Offline
In this area $75 to $90 one man and truck just to get to the front door on service call then $35 to $45 for each additional 1/2 hour. I think this is a little low due to the increasing costs of doing business in this area. I just had work done on the truck and he had a kid working on it his charge was $125 an hour and I had to bring the truck to him. Wife called for service on the stove last week and they were here 10 minutes and the bill was $140.00 no parts.

L
I always advise my young apprentices to look west to the US goldfields after their training.
Typically, a qualified electrician would be paid around $ 15.00, a self-employed lad might command $ 22.00 per hour.
Call out fees here in the North of Ireland do not enjoy the acceptance of elsewhere but usually the charge would be $ 45.00 plus the hourly rate after the first hour.

regards

lyle dunn
D
dugmaze Offline OP
A guy wants me to upgrade his service to a 200A but I'm not sure how much to charge him so I thought about just charging by the hour.

L
LK Offline
DUGMAZE,
I would not wory about the price of the job, make sure you have good insurance in case the job goes bad. When a service installation causes damage it usually runs into the thousands or total loss, so good insurance will help limit your losses. Your insurance company will usually requires a contract with the owner.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 08-30-2003).]

C
C-H Offline
Lyledunn,
Is $15 what you get or what you charge? I sure hope it's not what you charge!

A Swedish electrican might charge $45/hour but just get $15 himself. The rest goes to VAT, taxes, more taxes, insurances, pension fund and so on. [Linked Image]

S
C-H:

Well..at least he'll get the pension back when he retires..

I thought the taxes went for things like health benefits, etc.

Even though some taxes go towards worthy (IMO) programs, it still stings when you see that big bad bite out of your paycheck....gotta be honest here. [Linked Image].

Link Copied to Clipboard