ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What would you say has been the Biggest Labor-Saving change that has happened in the trade since you started out?

And what did you have to do before it came?
It could be a new Device, Materials or new procedure.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-28-2001).]

Bill
14.4V Screw Gun (Drill)

Before:
Twisting screwdrivers to the point of severe carpal tunnel syndrome...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-28-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
'66,

That's a big one! Something that's used almost everyday!

Bill
S
I just did a job with those new Klien strippers, as opposed to the NM 'ripper'i usually use....i'm sold! a thank you to this BB for the tip... [Linked Image]

Cordless Everythings!! (Anybody still got a "Yankee Screwdriver"?)
When the battery drills first came out, we had a helper using one (little black Craftsman) on the roof of the Movieland Wax Museum. "Tattoo" from Fantasy Island was making an appearance for the opening of the FI display. The helper walked to the parapet and looked over to see. Somebody spotted him and called in a man with gun to the police.

Boy what a commotion! Helicopter and lots of cops. Assassinate Tattoo?

Tom Offline
Battery operated tools.

I've still got a Yankee screwdriver and a slide rule

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
T
You gotta love the rotospliter for bx or mc

S
electure,
is that were Tatto got 'the plane, the plane.." line?

Broom Pusher and
I'm in with the Cordless stuff also. Still have 2 working Yankees [one with the wooden handle, the other with the red plastic handle].

Some other things would be the newer box hanging things, such as the ones that go between studs for upto 3 4s boxes to mount on. The other being the hanger / back end stops, which backs up against the drywall behind it - keeping the 4s box from doing the twist when someone plugs into a receptacle.

Before these arrived, we would cut sections of top channel [steel studs] for multi box support between studs, and layers of drywall, or small sections of CRC to keep boxes from twisting.

I'm so use to doing things "the old way", that I automatically figure that approach on jobs [Linked Image] I B A LAMER

When the "Slave / Master" lighting was commonly used [a California thing], a few companies had some nice quick connectable Slave fixtures - those were labor saving.
Most fixture companies have those sliding pop-out deals on top of their 2x2 and 2x4 troffers. Those can sometimes be labor saving - but we normally get the lamps separate from the fixtures, so the diffuser has to be dropped anyway!
The slide in place deal (or "Noodle" if Steve doesn't mind me borrowing the term) can be a major pain in the _______ [fill in your preferred word]. Pinching Ballast leads, loose fits, questionable ground connections, the list goes on...

Some of the "Labor Saving" stuff for switchgear, became more like "Labor Adding - In Future"!
Square D's "I-Line" stuff can be one of them. If not installed really tight, the plug-in contacts just fry out.
Same with the old Zinsco gear [can't recall the series].

I'll try to add some others later tonight, or tomorrow.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard