ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I
Just make a cable with regular male plugs on both ends, then plug the generator into any socket. I assume you have one in the garage, or you should have an outside plug somewhere. Just make sure you turn off the main breaker on your electrical box, or you will have a fireworks display when the hydro comes back on.

...Mike

That's why you turn off the main breaker, but I don't actually know about the legality of it. You definitly woudln't connect a large permanent generator this way, but if you just want to hook up a small one during a blackout, it does work.

...Mike

Well, the consensus of the forum seems to be, "Don't do it." So, all I'll say is, I've seen it done, it worked, there was no resulting fire, and nobody was electrocuted. YMMV.

...Mike

Well as long as Mike has seen it done and nobody was electrocuted, it must be OK. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
I especially like the fact that he plans to install the generator indoors.(unfrigginbelievable)

I hope he remembers to connect the "fume hood" to the back-up circuit.

S
We do alot of Gen-Tran's and standby's and it never ceases to amaze my how ignorant "some" people are and how they will cut corners in such a vital area.

It's like when I see a dangerous situation in a home or business. They usually say "Well I've never had a problem with it before". I say -Yeah, and your house never burned down before either!

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Link Copied to Clipboard