ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
iwire Offline OP
I had a nice digital camera that died, now I have to get another one.

I am not looking for the ultimate camera, I need a modest camera.

I will not be having the images printed on film, I will only be looking at the images on my PC screen.

It will be going on the job so a delicate and or expensive camera is not what I want.

Features I do want are zoom, standard batteries (AA etc.), USB.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPC-Samsung_Digimax_130

Go to that site and check out the Digimax. I got mine last year for 100 bucks at Circuit City. It has been a great camera that is easy to use and takes exellent pictures for the price.

Bob,
Just as a note,
Don't go for the cheapest that you can find either.
Make sure that it is Digitally Signed for Windows.
I had a LOT of problems getting my Ben-Q camera to even load photo's properly to my PC.
Won't be buying that brand again!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-25-2003).]

I've got an Olympus that I got for under $100.
Although it's only 1.3 megapixel,it has all the little bells and whistles (macro, zoom, etc.) I've been very happy with it, and it's proven to be pretty rugged (I keep it in a case).
One suggestion, regardless of which camera you get, is to get a battery charger with "no memory" batteries (Nimh). My batteries have to be changed about every 3 days under normal use, and I would have paid Eveready quadruple the initial cost of the darn camera by now had I not been able to recharge them.

Bob:
For what it's worth, I bought a Sony. Under 350, takes great pics, USB, easy.

IT's prime purpose was for "work"; but, I started using it, and printing the shots, and now it's all I use.

John

John
B
A couple of very general comments—a few popular features worth getting are “ATA/compact-flash” memory cards, a USB cable and AA-battery operation. There will always be a tradeoff between truly useful features and its price tag. It may help to pattern your selection after what your associates have used [and also what they have most hated about theirs, too,]

A very useful feature is that trips to the photo processor are a thing of the past. It's best to not assume that money will be saved in the process. Care and feeding of a photo-quality printer will more that eat up what you'd spend in time and gasoline to the local drug-store photo processor. [Prices of color-inkjet cartridges and paper stock may take your breath away.]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-25-2003).]

Bob,

I don't know much about brands or models, but would suggest that you look for between 2 and 3 MegaPixels at a minimum. I have a 1.0 which was a great bargain at the time, but wasn't really happy with the sharpness. And once you start cropping and enlarging pictures on the PC lack of resolution becomes very obvious.

Bill

Bill
F
I bought a Sony Cyber-Shot 2.0 mega pixel camera last fall. It has rechargable Ni-MH batteries(AA) that last a long time. In a pinch you can use regular AA batteries. I have been very happy with it and paid less than $200.00 at Walmart. I recently say a similar Sony that was 3.0 mega pixel for $179.00. I'm not sure Sony makes my model anymore.

N
I use a Nikon CoolPix 775. A nicely built unit, that can take a reasonable bit of physical abuse. 2.1 megapixel, compact flash, USB, and a relatively simple menu system for settings, etc. A decent autofocus system, and good quality lens.

Only downside is the battery life. The factory NiCd only lasts an hour or so if you aren't religious about turning it off between shots. The "power save" mode doesn't seem to save much power! [Linked Image] It won't run anything as common as AA cells, but it can take a relatively common lithium camera battery (2CR5), which gives much better life than the NiCd, especially in cold weather.

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 08-25-2003).]

S
I've had excellent success with Sony digital cameras. I feel Sony, if not the best, is among the best when it comes to any sort of video media (digitial cameras, dvd players, televisions, movie cameras.) Steer clear of any of their home or car audio products, or computers.

My biggest beef with Sony is that they are priced higher than comparable models, but the quality is definitely there.

Bye for now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard