ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#28534 08/23/03 08:26 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This has absolutely nothing to do with Electricity at all.
But, what started out as a very real DARE 10-12 years ago, between myself and a mate of mine, has become, to a certain extent, especially during the Summer months, a very real hobby, even a job!.(Especially as far as Search and Rescue and Fire-fighting goes)
We had a dare, as to who could complete either thier Fixed-Wing or Rotary Wing Pilot's licence the quickest and also who could earn the large amount of money required to sit all of the exams, etc.
I figured that a Rotary Licence should be easier, after all, how hard can it be flying something that hovers by itself, almost!.
Well, I was in for a shock and a half, i went to the Aerodrome at Garden City Helicopters in Christchurch here and I was required to do all of these complex equations and Wind factors and so forth and I thought WHY?.
All up, it took me 3 weeks of theory and exams before I even saw a Helicopter.
Then came the Practical side, remember how I said that a Chopper hovers by it self?, it's all rubbish! [Linked Image]
Even after 10 years off and on of flying Choppers, I still have a LOT to learn, I've sat my Twin Gas Turbine and Instrument Ratings and I have been approached by the Westpac Helicopter Trust as to being a pilot for them, as a Full-time job.
But what I was willing to ask, was, have you ever been for a ride in a Chopper and what did you think of it (Good or Bad?)?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-23-2003).]

R
My first ride was in Korea on a litter mounted on the side at the skid.
The second was over Niagara Falls. Honeymoon.
The third was over the Grand Canyon. Vacation.
The forth was over the Phoenix area in a news copter. A hot-rod that scared H___ out of me. He later had his license suspended for reckless flying.
Rowdy

W
My stomach probably isn't strong enough to ride in 'Copters on a regular basis but I think thye're cool. Woould love to ride in once under still [Linked Image] conditions. A guy I used to work with, jumped out of 'copters all over Vietnam and even in Cambodia when the US wasn't in Cambodia [Linked Image]. He and I went to a pump school in Maryland, the flight home in a puddle jumper was wicked rough, he was laughing his butt off as I turned green. Seems US Air was a piece of cake after a few hundred jumps in combat [Linked Image]

M
Grew up on a farm and we had crop dusters in air planes spraying our farm all the time.

But the neighbor planted strawberries one year and they're reall fragile and can be damaged by overspray. Planes tend to overspray. I guess it's hard to get the valve off at just the right time when moving at a hundred miles per hour.

So one year, my dad hired a helicopter spraying outfit. They towed the copter on a flatbed and they spent two days spraying our farm.

We were there at 5:30 both mornings just hoping to get a ride. Well, the pilot did ask us. We strapped my sister, brother, and I in the one available seat and went for a ride around the farm.

This was one of those little glass globe cockpits with the rest of the craft that looked like a TV antenna on its side.

That ride was great. You could look straight down from the seat. I've never been up again but would love to fly one someday.

S
I have never been in a helicopter. But my wife has been in a corporate copter about 5 times. She says that it was totally cool. (Sorry for the California language).

As far as hovering. I read an article about the harrier and it's ability to hover. The pilots equated it to balancing on the top of a needle.

Scott

L
LK Offline
All Fixed-Wing and could put them down on the numbers with a 30' roll out. Thought I was pretty hot, until the day I tried the Rotary. Every part of your body is in motion and your looking at charts, talking to flight control, well Fixed-Wing was a country drive compared to Rotary.
WB2OMS

C
I flew in all kinds of choppers in 1961 and 62 as an Electronics Flight Officer(US Army) and was taught to fly them in the event of an emergency.Never did do an auto rotation but was in the left seat while the pilot did a lot of them.At that time auto pilots for choppers were in early development so like it was mentioned above all parts of your body were involved.The Huey was relatively new in those days and the most exciting to fly in, in terms of performance.
We tested HF single side band,FM VHF and AM UHF radios.Got in lots of flying hours around Ft Monmouth NJ,Block Island NY,Atlantic City NJ and Harrisburg Pa.
Chris

M
A couple times. One was at a county fair (short), and the other time was in Maui. The ride in Maui was one of the most breathtaking things I have ever done. The pilot told us that we were riding in a brand new million dollar helicopter. Totally safe.... er, just strap this inflatable life vest on just in case.

Everybody had stereo headphones on. The pilot introduced himself over the intercom, and gave us a few tips on what to do if we began feeling queezy. As we took off from the heliport, beautiful music began playing in time with the tour. We went right through a narrow opening in the sea cliffs along the shore of the island. Hidden from the view from the ocean, this narrow slit opened into a large cavern surrounded by cliffs. Waterfalls dropped over the edges and into a big pool below us. Lush green tropical plants and flowers hung over the edges of the cliffs. The pilot tipped us sideways over the waterfall so we could all see the rainbow there from the spray. When you thought he was close enough, he got even closer LOL. I believe our ride lasted about 1 hour. It was one hour of my life that I will never forget.

If you ever get to Hawaii, this is a must do!

Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
Thanks heaps for your comments!. [Linked Image]
Matt M,
I was in Hawaii a few years ago, but not in a chopper and the sights there are amazing!.
The biggest fear I have about piloting a Helicopter is the fear of having a Tail Rotor blade strike something or have the drive linkage break.
I don't really Auto-Rotate that often, although I have used it for the odd landing and so forth.
One thing I do like about the Helicopter, is the fact that you don't have to do a big circle to have another look at something down on the ground.
When I announced to my friend, that I was going to try Rotary Wing flying (as opposed to the Fixed wing, that he wanted me to do), he showed me the movie "Blue Thunder", which I had never seen before, the scene where the nut comes off the tail rotor section scared the H__l out of me.
But that's a mean chase at the end of the movie!. [Linked Image]
One thing I have learned though, the larger the Chopper, the smoother the ride, in any conditions.

P
I've never ridden in a helicopter. I've sat in a few on the ground, but I don't think that counts! [Linked Image]

I did have a go at flying a small fixed-wing some years ago. It all started when I just happened to pick up a book in Florida on how to get a pilot's license. I ended up reading and re-reading that book many times, and decided to "have a go," so I went up with an instructor for a quick lesson in a Cessna 150. I did just some basic cruising, turns, climbing, descending etc., but really loved it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard