ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#28429 08/19/03 12:21 PM
Today is the worst I've seen yet for getting Viruses in my Email. I got over 125 before 12 Noon. What the #$%&^$ is going on?

Be very careful about opening any attachments. I don't know what kind of virus it is but they have file names ending in .pif and .scr Subjects are varied:

Your_Details
My_Details
Details
Wicked Screensaver
Approved
Your Application
Thank You!
Re: Thank You!
That Movie
and other variations with RE: and Re:Re: before the words.

Update your Virus Protection and keep it active!

Bill

Bill
C
C-H Offline
Probably Sobig.F

It's the fastest spreading virus ever. Discovered today.

C-H

Any info available on that yet?

I scanned the directory where these files were and they were not recognized by Mcaffee Viruscan with an Update issued 8/18 (1 day old)

I found an article on the W32/Sobig.e@MM virus which seems like it will really cause problems.

Our Mail Server has been down (I haven't been able to get emails) for almost 2 hours right now.

Bill

Bill
C
C-H Offline
Here are more details:

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/sobig_f.shtml

It's just an e-mail virus, but it's good at spreading.

B
Speaking of viruses, did anyone have a problem with wormblaster? I was just fine until I went to Microsoft's web site to download the "patch" and then my computer crashed. It's all better now but it leaves one to wonder...

It's just an e-mail virus, but it's good at spreading.
C-H,

From the article at the link I posted and some others I've since found it doesn't seem to be a typical email virus. I don't understand it all, but don't like hearing it is 'auto updating' or the idea of it opening ports creating a BackDoor to the infected computer and awaiting instructions.

Bill

Bill
T
I would like to add that some computers are configured such that the infected file appears to be innocent. (The file extension--such as .pif, .exe, etc.--does not show.)

Fortunately, I use a service that allows for automatic blocking of potentially dangerous attachments. Unless you are specifically expecting a file with the following extensions, there is good reason to be cautious:

exe, bat, scr, com, pif, chm, cpl, hta, ins, isp, ise, js, mda, mdb, mde, ade, adp, mdz, msc, prf, dbx, nch, reg, inf, vb, vbs, bas, msp, wsh

An attachment with the .pif, vbs or vb extension is almost certainly something malicious.

BTW,

(for McAfee users)
McAfee has issued a new Dat (virus data update) today for detecting this bug. I could not update using the controls in my Viruscan control panel, but it was available for download at the website.
http://www.networkassociates.com/us/downloads/updates/dat.asp

Bill
Bill,
Today is the worst I've seen yet for getting Viruses in my Email. I got over 125 before 12 Noon. What the #$%&^$ is going on?
I would be inclined to ask that same question, too, 125 viruses, is bordering on the para-normal.
This sort of behaviour (sending viruses) is clearly unfair to the average computer user and it deserves to be punished with the full extent of the Law!, the problem being actually catching the culprits.
I haven't noticed any response from any Law enforcement agencies, anywhere with regard to what is actually being done about these idiots.
Just seems to me, that a few amongst the world population have so much time on thier hands and so little brains!. [Linked Image]

Trumpy,

That 125 was only the tip of the iceberg i'm afraid. Apparently they came in so fast that it totally bogged down our Mail Server earlier. I feel like I've wasted a whole day with this $#%@&* already..

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bill
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard