ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Today I identified one mail server that had sent me over 1100 emails in the last 36 hrs. I wrote to them telling them they had a problem and they gave me another address to write to (sounded like a 'not my job' response). So I just had them blocked period.

I think these little ISPs have a responsibility to not let crap like this virus (and spam) pass through them. They have the ability to stop a lot of this stuff.

Bill

Bill
I want to keep this near the top so everyone sees it. Even with blocking a multitude of Mail Servers I got 1500 virus emails in the last 12 hrs.

Everyone: Please make sure that your system is clean. Don't click on anything that comes in an email unless you know exactly what it is. Be aware that you can't really trust that it's from the address it says it's from either.

If you don't know how to update your virus software, or scan your system you can post a question here and I'm confident that someone will try to help you.

Bill

Bill
I am using ontrack's systems suite and it has identified viruses before they were listed on the symantec search site one example was the Randex virus .I dont know how the boy gets these viruses but I sure like the ontrack virus software . I think it is powered by Trend Micro .

I
I have been experiencing dropped connections (dial up) and slow service or "server not found" for a few days now and it seems my ISP is having difficulty dealing with these virus's too, here is an email I just got from them.

Good day,
The plague of viruses and worms on the Internet has accelerated during the last week or so.

These worms and viruses have been propagating through (primarily) email, although 2 recent ones (Slammer and Welchia) were worms spread through PC invasion.

These links to CNN articles may help you to understand the issue: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/22/sobig.culprit/index.html http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/21/sobig.virus/index.html http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/08/22/microsoft.patch.reut/index.html

The bandwidth any ISP uses to carry customer traffic is being consumed by these worms and viruses. This will cause lost or dropped connections, slow or no connections, and aborted downloads.

In a week where we introduced a product that requires a download this has been especially troubling. While your response to NetSprinter is gratifying it is upsetting to see you experiencing difficulty, due to external issues, in readily accessing the service.

Another example of the impact of the current viruses, this one being the SoBig.F virus:
When the email server is flooded with the emails sent to us by outside accounts infected with the viruses and worms it slows down the processing of our services. The server is busily isolating the viruses and worms, and is getting hit by thousands more requests to send mail through it to our customers.

This is the source of mail delivery delay and dropped connections.

What about naisp.net?
Our servers run Linux, a non-Microsoft operating system. The servers are virus and worm-free. The messages suddenly flooding the email server are not virus-free. The messages are created in a Microsoft environment. They infect Microsoft operating systems. The virus, SoBig, in particular launches email at an astounding rate.

What can you do?
Please note that you must continue to protect yourself against viruses and worms. The protection we have using Linux does not cull out from delivery to you all possible instances of the viruses. Use common sense in dealing with attachments. We recommend using an effective anti-virus program to scan incoming email: at work, I use Norton. McAfee works well, too.

Hope that helps explain the lag!

Best regards,

Chris Mitchell

ISP/IT Manager

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Bob,

When we determine that a lot of emails are coming from one place we can block that address or Mail server. Even with many servers already blocked I am averaging over 100/hr. Our mail server scans the mail and takes out the virus now, so I don't get them and they're automatically filtered by my email program (Eudora) and put in a special folder for disposal later.

Even though I don't have to wade through them like the first day I know it's still a strain on our server resources and figure it is causing some slowdowns in general.

The people that write and spread this stuff are hurting everyone.

Bill

Bill
Bill,
It sounds like you as a Web Administrator, have been hit especially hard by these Clowns.
The sheer number of e-mails, is mind-blowing, to say the least.
The people that write and spread this stuff are hurting everyone.
Exactly, this is why we need very explicitly written and enforced laws to clamp down on this form of crime (Which it is!), to make it clear that this sort of Anti-social behaviour, will NOT be tolerated!.
Imagine, the average Elderly person, that uses a computer to keep in touch with a distant son or daughter, how are they going to cope with a situation like this?.
This problem really needs to be nipped in the bud, NOW!!. [Linked Image]

M
Here is another virus warning you might be interested in.
NEW VIRUS ALERT

If you receive an email entitled "Badtimes," delete it immediately. Do not open it. Apparently this one is pretty nasty.

It will not only erase everything on your hard drive, but it will also delete anything on disks within 20 feet of your computer.
It demagnetizes the stripes on ALL of your credit cards.
It reprograms your ATM access code, screws up the tracking on your VCR and uses subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you attempt to play.
It will re-calibrate your refrigerator's coolness settings so all your ice cream melts and your milk curdles.
It will program your phone autodial to call only your mother-in-law's number.
This virus will mix antifreeze into your fish tank.
It will replace all your Coke with Pepsi.
It will leave dirty socks on the coffee table when you are expecting company.
Its radioactive emissions will cause your toe jam and bellybutton fuzz (be honest, you have some) to migrate behind your ears.
It will replace your shampoo with Nair and your Nair with Rogaine, all while dating your current boy/girlfriend behind your back and billing their hotel rendezvous to your Visa card.
It will cause you to run with scissors and throw things in a way that is only fun until someone loses an eye.
It will give you Dutch Elm Disease and Tinea.
It will rewrite your backup files, changing all your active verbs to passive tense and incorporating undetectable misspellings which grossly change the interpretations of key sentences.
If the "Badtimes" message is opened in a Windows95 environment, it will leave the toilet seat up and leave your hair dryer plugged in dangerously close to a full bathtub.
It will not only remove the forbidden tags from your mattresses and pillows, but it will also refill your skim milk with whole milk.
It will replace all your luncheon meat with Spam.
It will molecularly rearrange your cologne or perfume, causing it to smell like dill pickles. It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold.
It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.
These are just a few signs of infection.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

This is a joke, of course.

Blessings. Mark

M
Between email viruses and spam, I wonder how long email can remain a viable method of communication.

I still remember the days (early 90s) when the only way to transmit a computer virus was to stick an infected floppy disk in a PC. Email transmission was unthinkable. And "worm" still meant a pink, wriggly creature that lived in the soil, was eaten by birds and used as fish bait.

Sometimes change is a bad, bad, BAD thing.

MacWire

Bill,
I read in the news that they have caught the culprit of the Blaster Worm.
Man, I hope that he goes for a SKATE and a half!.

E
This fellow's about 6 miles west of here. Fascinating.

Al Hildenbrand
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard