ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Yep thats me!!! I did that just Sat... I was at a wedding and was checking out the pool fountain...the pool lighting... the outdoor lighting... the ploe lights... the hall lighting... the hall lighting controll system... ect.... it never ends... HELP!! LOL!
Joe

Heh heh heh... Old post time!

I always look up at the conduits at stores, especially Wally World! My mother's getting tired of me snapping pictures of electrical lines on my cell phone! I once refused to sit at a table at the local chain-restaurant, but was forced to sit there anyways. Heh! The next day, I read in the paper that someone got injured when the light fell! The person after I left.
I navigate by overhead lines. When I am driving I use high tension towers as a way to figure out where I am. My normal commute from work in I93 to I495. If I am deep in thought I have been known to forget to exit I93 at I495. I recognise my error by seeing unexpected towers.
Say that again! I get lost when utility poles are replaced, or high-tension wires replaced. (In '03 they upgraded some towers around here, needless to say, I got my mother lost in Middletown Twp. one day. [Linked Image]) My father also has me stuck on identifying which telecomm lines on the poles are cable vs. telephone.

I blame this forum for spreading this disease! I'm not even an electrician, heck, I'm not even 15! And I have it.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
R
Great this thread got bumped up.

I'm glad to share this obsession of noticing electrical equipment all over the place, sometimes to brass off the misses when I disappear into an alleyway during shopping to have a look at an old switchboard or meterpanel.

Also more than half of the holidayphoto's are usually of electrical equipment or trains if we are near a railway line.

I use the HT powerlines as a guide during travel too , also to see if I have missed a switching yard or substation station somewhere in my travels.

This is a great forum and it is great to see that I'm not the only one obsessed with an electrical defect.

The POCO industry keeps me busy with the real fire works.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
L
I have sub folders in my vacation pics labeled "work" it has gotten to the point where my wife just ignores my compulsion after 23yrs. Rod

K
When I go abroad on holiday I tend to get a kink in my neck walking around stairing up at all poor workmanship in these mediterainan countries though it is starting to improve as they join the EEC and learn how to do it right.

Back at home I was in a big DIY store when a young lad tried his best to sell me an "all singing all dancing" cordless drill (must have been commision time) and he would not give up or take no for an answer.
So eventualy I pretended to be intrested. Much to his delight then I droped my bomb shell " I have a big garden and work a lot in my shed so could I buy a cordless extetion to go with that? must have a range of about 150 ft thanks" so off he trots to the back store to look for a cordless extention [Linked Image] While I disapear home

der Großvater
S
It's sad, but as an electromechanical engineer, I do this constantly, too. Worst example- a few months ago, I was out in San Diego with one my electrical technicians and we decided to hit the San Diego Zoo... and we were FAR more interested in the exsquisite engineering in the drainage system and the emergency power setup to maintain pumps and power to the cages than the animals themselves! Backs to the cages, pointing out different components of emergency generators and autmatic transfer switches half-hidden in the bushes near almost every cluster of cages. I'm glad my wife wasn't along on that trip!

Even worse was when I met up with a Roman aerospace/structural engineer for a 2-day tour of the ruins of Rome, but I think professional curiosity is easily justified there! I mean, you can hear about gladiators anytime on the history channel, but do ever they mention how the romans used gradiants of aggregate in their concrete and iron straps glued into place with molten lead poured through sprue-like troughs chiseled into the blocks expressly for that purpose?

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 08-31-2006).]

Cat Servant
The easiest way to get my mind off of the trade is to.... ask me about my cats! [Linked Image]

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard