ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
To put a long story short, hired as an apprentice, 9 months into apprenticeship found out that Journeyman Contractor that hired me, did not have an electrical contractors permit, should not have been doing commercial even if he had that permit, was not licensed with the city, and had two masters getting permits for him. Basically the apprenticeship was illegal and so is his business. Of course, when you file the complaints, they say it will take until October before any action is taken so I guess he will be able to work like this some more. Apparently has been doing it since 2000 and no one noticed?????? kinda strange. Anyway - to anyone looking at being an apprentice anything - first step - check their licensing! check everything! never assume that because they have been in business for years that they are legal. Would love to hear from anyone else with this experience. Thanks for letting me vent:-)

Hey,
No worries, mate!. [Linked Image]
Welcome to ECN.
Man you must be pretty peeved by that one, but don't take it personally, it's ALL his fault.
BTW, how were you hooked up with this guy in the first place?.
I worked with a guy once that was un-qualified, although he stated he was, this was OK until he asked me to sign off a Certifcate of Compliance for a job he had done, I asked him why he couldn't and it all came out in the wash eventually, turned out, the guy had been working as a Sparky, but had NEVER done any apprenticeship or Exams, but he had still continued to do Electrical work and had never filled out a COC for any of the work he'd done!.
What a loser this guy was, I was wild, he was getting paid more than me too!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-02-2003).]

T
Gotzapped, that type of situation occurs ALL THE TIME throughout Wisconsin. For some asinine reason, Wisconsin does not require an electrician to be certified. In the rare case when a certain job/city needs to have a Master, small shops simply pay to use the name of one that has no official affiliation with the company. In some cases, a shop may have a single certified electrician that remains back at the office while one or more of that company's jobs out in the field require a certified electrician to be present at all times! A poorly trained monkey can strap on a toolbelt and travel the state setting up potential electrocution devices. Unfortunately, the resulting infernos usually destroy all incriminating evidence so these "electricians" are free to blunder again. I see that I have worked myself into a lather ...SERENITY NOW!

R
Triple,
Same goes in PA.

D
Triple-
beg to differ. Most muni's in WI may not care, but that's different than the state not requiring. Check out the following link:

Wisconsin Master Electrician Details

In order to be licensed as an Electrical Contractor, you must be or employ someone licensed as a Master Electrician by WI. And if I undertand it correctly, anyone performing electrical work is supposed to be licensed...even apprentices.

Like we all know, however...doing and saying are two totally different things...

(edited to correct and shorten URL)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-07-2003).]

T
DougW, which part of that link are you referring to? Only certain cities in Wisconsin require a contractor's license. Plumbers, however, DO have to be certified as a Journeyman or Master to do any work, anywhere in the State (unless they're plumbing their own home). Apparently, there was a rash of plumbing related drownings that led to the more strict plumbing laws!

Guys,
Does this mean that if you have one Licenced guy in your firm, the rest can "come along for the ride" on the Licenced guy's ticket?.
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong?.

T
Safety and Buildings Division staff provide electrical consultation to owners, builders, inspectors, electricians, and designers. Electrical inspections are made upon special request. Training is offered. Credentials are administered for electricians and electrical inspectors. (There are municipalities in Wisconsin which have local electrical credential regulations.)

A person who holds a electrical credential issued by the Safety and Buildings Division as a certified electrical contractor, certified electrical contractor - restricted, certified master electrician, certified journeyman electrician, or certified beginning electrician may perform electrical construction work in a Wisconsin municipality which requires licensure to perform electrical work pursuant to 101.87(2) to (4) Stats., and in accordance with local ordinances. When a electrical certification is required and what category of certification is needed are determined by individual municipalities.
www.commerce.state.wi.us

Link Copied to Clipboard