ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#2801 07/27/01 09:30 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
similar situations yes.

today i viewed a mobile home, fed via #2 triplex from the nearest pole(140') via meter/ main.

the triplex terminates in an uncovered unsecured 6X6 under the skirting to change to #2 SEU to the panel.

there are no G-rods , or disco's on pedestals, and the place has AL wiring thruout.

many of the obvious violations exist, yet this place has just been sold...

(the AC unit has blackened the mating receptacle 1/2 way to charcole)

I fixed what i was called to fix, and called the owner to voice my concerns, that's all i can do.....

#2802 07/27/01 11:28 PM
I see horrible things almost every day...

My lack of a macro camera keeps me from posting the lot of them.

Again, I say that the only jobs that completely pass muster are the ones I've started and have seen to completion... and still some violations sneak in...(See Short Meter )

It is a moral dilemna I face almost every day... And then I read where electricians have actually gone to jail for negligent homicide... in cases where simple mistakes were made that I could have been just as guilty of in the same circumstance...

When people ask of the condition of their wiring, I've been known to say "Keep your insurance premiums up to date..." or "I'll gladly wire your new place when you rebuild after the fire..."

I also have a disclaimer sheet that at least implies that Kelly Electric has been removed from liability from said problems listed, and the customer is aware of the dangers, etc. It may not be worth the paper it's written on, but it's something.

Oddly, most are painfully aware of the poor condition of their wiring, but have no means to do anything about it.

My house is a perfect example. It's scary...
(however, I do have 15A fuses, and lots of GFCI's...I'm going to get some AFCI's when they're available here...I try to make it a little safer...)

At any rate, I often feel that I'm caught in the middle being the "expert" when this situation occurs.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-28-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#2803 07/27/01 11:59 PM
I haven't had too much Trailer work because there aren't many around but I did have one experience that I'll always remember. Forgive the embellishment as it is a piece that was cut from the article so it would fit in the space allotted.

An example of this Consumer naiveté that comes to mind started with a 1 am call on or about Dec 23rd several years ago. A resident of a local trailer park complained of having no electricity or heat. Upon arriving I was told that the utilities to the trailer had been turned off by the local fire department for some “unknown” reason. After just a quick investigation and a brief chat with the Fire Marshall (they called him at 2am!) a number of glaring violations were found. The plug supplying power to the trailer had exposed wiring and reverse polarity, the panelboard was loose (unmounted) and lying face up under a bed. The Christmas lights outside were mounted to the metal siding with sheet metal screws and the service was not bonded to the trailer frame. As each violation was pointed out to them I was told how long that particular situation had existed and so it could not be the cause of todays’ problem. What was the problem that brought me there? I don’t know specifics on how it was discovered, but there was a voltage present on the trailer skirting that was arcing to the propane supply line that ran through it. This, together with a propane leak, made for a very dangerous situation with several contributing elements that the customer basically wanted to ignore. After tagging along behind me for a few minutes they knew exactly how to restore service to their trailer and were sure to do it as soon as I left. They just did not understand the hazards. I wish that I could say I was able to convince them, but I wasn’t. What to do? Well, after some thought about the neighbors 10 feet away on either side, each with their own propane tank, and visions of a big crater in my mind I decided that a little donated labor was a small price to pay for piece of mind (mine). I like to think that maybe I brought Christmas a little early that year to all the residents of the trailer park. I’m not sure what the moral of the story is but I learned something about how far someone is willing to go to avoid, or because they can’t afford dealing with a situation like this, and it did make me feel better.

We all know someone that knows that their electrical service is inadequate or unsafe but are ‘going to have it done later because things are tight’. They see that new $2,000 kitchen countertop or front door is a justifiable expense though. When it comes down to the cost of the ‘seen vs. the unseen’ many times it’s no contest. Every time I see this I can’t help but think that a ‘reality check’ is in order, but can’t be overly critical when realizing that similarities exist in us all to some extent. Unfortunately, it may take something extreme for them to start taking their electrical system seriously.

Bill
#2804 07/28/01 07:02 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
I have commented to some that a certian level of electrical maintanence is just like a tune up for your car. ....so when's the last time your home had a tune-up right?

some grasp the anology and i will imbelish as needed.

I'm willing to wager that any sparky worth his salt has a horror story , with the potential disasters possible not entirely clear to the owner of said atrocity.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard