ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Experts anxious over possible Web attack
(CNN) -- Seeing a rise in hacker activity that could be a prelude to a broad Internet attack, security experts Thursday urged computer users to protect their machines by installing a free patch offered by Microsoft.
Potential For Significant Impact On...erability In Microsoft Operating Systems
We implore the private sector -- both business and home users -- to visit the Microsoft Web site and install the patches and mitigations necessary to prevent this from creating a negative effect on the Internet as a whole.
-- FBI spokesman Bill Murray

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-31-2003).]

Bill
S
Well....I implore the public and private sector to ditch Microsoft and go with something that is less prone to worms, viruses and takeovers.

Yup. Linux.

(Hoooo boy...this is gonna start a flame war. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] )

P
No argument from me Sven. [Linked Image]

Unix (and its derivatives) is a far superior operating system to Win-Doze.

S
Homeboy security now employs full time surfers to monitor the 'net.

this has it Pro's and Con's

ask any librarian

This is not a good thought!.
The thought of the whole Internet being brought down by a few sick minds, is mind-blowing, although a very real possibility.
I personally hope it NEVER happens. [Linked Image]

Trumpy,

Did you get your Updates?
In XP there should be a little icon (maybe flashing?) in the lower right corner of the desktop on the toolbar that notifies you that Updates are available. You can click on details and review what's available and choose what you'd like to install by checking/unchecking box.

Bill

Bill
Yeah Bill,
I've got them, mate!. [Linked Image]
But, other side of the coin, I've got viruses through Updates being sent to my system.
I scan everything with Norton AntiVirus, if it doesn't pass muster, it gets sent to the Quarantine bin. [Linked Image]

P
So you won't be laughing at me for picking up that old CP/M system a couple of months ago, then? [Linked Image]

Paul,

No, they make EXCELLENT Paper weights!!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
N
The internet (then the Arpanet) was specifically designed to be immune to damage from attacks against individual servers, switching nodes, etc. And not just network attacks, but little things like nuclear war...

I have to think that this is yet another scare story being used to:

>Further demonize "hackers".

>Provide a justification for government internet surveillance in the name of "Homeland Security".

>Keep the citizenry "on edge" about the latest "terrorist threat of the week", so they dont notice the Bill of Rights being shredded and the economy in the toilet.

>Funnel more money/business to Micro$oft, whose lousy products are behind most of the vulnerabilities in the first place!

It is becomming more and more obvious that much of the terrorism hysteria is being used to serve an agenda OTHER THAN providing "homeland security". Keep the population scared out of their wits, and they will BEG to have their rights taken away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard