ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 507 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C-H Offline

The reason for this bonding strip from what I have been told, is that old armored cable without the strip could when subjected to fault current heat up red hot like a toaster element.

Installing a GFCI receptacle would solve this problem, wouldn't it? (Of course, the run from the GFCI to the panel is no better off than before, but at least a fault in the power cord and appliance won't cause a fire)

L
LK Offline
Yes the cable can get hot as a toster with or without the bond wire. Over the years AC cable has been improved. When this strip was first introduced to the cable years ago it was loose in the cable, today the strip is closer to the wraped coils, and this close relation to the wrap does help. Years back they called this a leader for the paper. Today they call it a bonding wire. IWIRE describes todays AC Cable. The no bond and loose bond cable would not be best choice for UPS hookup. Replace with MC and get a real ground and Clad protection. The older homes are tough when the owner will not make improvements.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 07-28-2003).]

S
sss Offline OP
Well Thank You very much all of you...from all your posts I gather I will just have to get an electrician and have the house re-wired...I wish there was a way I could have the owner pay up for it, since I am just a student and the owner is really hard on the maintenaces...well anyways, so I guess the shorting out the ground and neutral is out, and I was just wondersing, if I get the GFCI...will it really solve the problem? I mean what I really want is just to have the UPS up and running, and at least have backup power if there is no electricity...so if installing the GFCI can do the trick and I can have the UPS runninng, I will be glad to use the GFCI rather than do the whole re-wiring. Though after looking at the way the GFCI works, I kinda am doubtful whether it will work, but I wouldn't know, so please help me again and tell me if using a GFCI will do the trick. IF not well then I guess I should be calling the electrician...
How much should such a job cost resonably?? I live in Mobile, Alabama, and the house is a three bedroomed house about 40ft by 20ft...
any ideas??

SSS

sss,

Please talk to your Landlord about getting this done the right way and consider the liability you may be exposing yourself to by taking things in your own hands.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard