ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#27540 08/14/03 11:22 AM
I'm not opposed to a state license, but I'm opposed to the way it is going to take place here in Texas. I'm not sure how many Masters are in Houston, but it is somewhere around 800. I'm #688. After I completed my apprenticeship, I went to school at night for a year and a half, and on my second try, I passed the Houston Master's test. I passed the SBCCI the first time I took it, some 6 months after I passed Houston. I've put in quite a bit of time outside of work to get my licenses. If you read the law on the site above, you'll realize that someone outside a municipality (which doesn't offer licensing) can get a Master's without taking a test. It's not right in my opinion. Not only that, I'm sure that the "standards" will be lowered.
The area's of the state that aren't being enforced at present, will still be unenforced after the law take affect. The difference for most is going to be more money for a state license, and 4 hours of class time per year. For people in Houston, I think, we will be required to have a city license as well as a state license. For me, my Houston Master's license isn't worth the paper it's written on because "word has it" that the number of Houston Master's will triple in the next year. I have to tell you, it hurt to see this law passed. I felt like everything I had worked for was reduced to ashes. But, what can you do?

Master of Puppets, going insane...
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#27541 08/15/03 09:19 PM
waymag Offline OP
Watt Doctor I 100% agree with you on that. All the shadetree electricians that are gonna get a master license by having someone lie for them saying they did the time in the trade. Sheeesh!!!!

#27542 08/15/03 09:43 PM
T
hmm. not sure how that compares to the process in nc. it sounds totally different.

when i was up on it a few years ago, you had to have 4 years exp in a forman/electrician capacity. (or varying amounts of time as an engineer, job estimater, etc.) also references. all time had to be verified. then a ball-busting 8 hr state exam. average pass ratio, 20%.

and now they also require classwork every year in order to renew your license.

of course each city has its journeymans exam and in my city they require a journeymen on every job for every 4(?) helpers. although i have never had that asked of me in 14 years of business. of course journeymen cannot do sidework.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard