ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27460 07/16/03 05:00 PM
R
Received a transcript of a IAEI meeting. What a bunch of nitpicking at this one.
This one caught my eye. What constitutes a finished basement? No consensus on this. One participant indicated that he had approved installation that had infrared sauna, exercise equipment, TV, VCR, couch, table, chairs, refrigerator, etc. This installation had concrete floor so some participants said it was an “unfinished” basement and all except dedicated circuits must be GFI. What caught my attention on this is that I have the same equipment except no refrigerator but an added sump pump, pressure pump, 2-52 gal. H2O, and softener. and no GFI’s were installed or required on any item.
My pressure pump is on commercial water service due to 2nd floor and 5 baths. Also 225 ft. from main. My supply line to home is 1-1/4 in.
Rowdy

#27461 07/18/03 01:35 PM
Tom Offline
I can see it now, someday there will be a separate book of electrical code definitions & it will be at least as thick as the NEC.

Until there is a definition, then this remains a judgement call. I'm kinda conservative, so I'd say if the exterior walls are concrete block or concrete, with no drywall or paneling covering them, this is unfinished.

What does a concrete floor have to do with anything? Here in the Mountain State, I've seen houses with dirt floors, thats really unfinished.

What is the definition of basement?

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#27462 07/18/03 01:44 PM
R
A local code modification indicates that GFI's are required only in a basement that has an earthen floor. Seems like common sense has prevailed.
Rowdy

#27463 07/18/03 08:53 PM
S
Common sense is (or maybe i should say was) the premis of the NEC Rowdy.

The problem is we have grey areas that people nitpick, as well as arbitrary bechmarks that others will defend tooth and nail

both camps do the document an injustice by throwing good old American horse sense out to pasture.

Link Copied to Clipboard