ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27260 07/07/03 01:22 AM
E
EDW Offline OP
Do any of you guy's use excel spreadsheets?
I'm having a hard time with it and was wondering if there is any info out there to help learn this program.Just not a computer guy I guess!

#27261 07/07/03 02:51 AM
Broom Pusher and
Throw out some ideas of what you want to do, or areas of difficulty, and I know of at least 4 members who will chime in (5 including myself [Linked Image])

Alternately, try contacting me directly.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#27262 07/07/03 07:56 AM
T
I have been using spreadsheets since the early 80's (Lotus-123A). Developed literally 100's of them including VBA coding. Like Scott said let us know what you are having trouble with and we can help.

The main thing you want to do when developing a spreadsheet is to test, test, test the results. I can't count how many spreadsheets I have seen where the developer has used wrong formulas and logic!

#27263 07/07/03 12:21 PM
E
EDW Offline OP
Sorry about the lack of info.
What I'm trying to do is set up a sheet of commonly used materials and their prices so that I can enter the quantity and have it extened over to a total column.
Example: Column A = Quantity, B= Item
C= Cost D= Unit E= Total. I can't seem to set it up to multiply column A by column C to obtain Column E. I need the formula to repeat on each row since since all the data would be fixed except for the quantity.
Does this make any sense!!!
I really appreciate the help. Ed

#27264 07/07/03 01:24 PM
T
Pretty straightfoward. Asssuming data starts in row 2. In cell E2 put the formula:
=A2*C2

Then just copy E2 down the E column as far as you want it.

#27265 07/07/03 06:34 PM
J
Here is an excellent site for help if you can't get it here.
http://www.mrexcel.com/

#27266 07/08/03 07:22 AM
R
Go to a book supplier. "Excel for Dummies" is available. I should know. [Linked Image]

#27267 07/10/03 11:58 PM
Broom Pusher and
Thom's reply is very concise and just what you are looking for.

Jdelvin and Redsy's suggestions are equally good.

Use the Auto Sum function, or enter formulas manually. When you get fluent with spreadsheets, start using premade Macros, or create your own.
After the Macros get mastered, make super tweeked versions using VBA (as Thom mentioned).

When you get fluent with this, you will begin to eat only Pizza and Doritos, wear a pocket protector, complain about how Hollywood "has no clue about machines, machine language, assembly language, anything related to Astrophysics, etc.", your hair will become wild, and you will lose your social life!
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] just kidding! This only happened to me! (and a few others, too).

Spreadsheets are extremely useful tools - which are able to perform simple things to very complex things.
And like Bjarney said, "Then step into the Database world, and you can run an entire corporation" or something like that [Linked Image]...

Software applications have great potentials ... for the right person(s). If a person is comfortable doing tasks without any computer assistance, there is no reason to change - unless that person is 100% sure they can benifit from a computer's assistance.

The learning curve / initial learning expense can be very large, and last for several weeks - possibly even several months - to use an appication at even a basic level. Just don't get discouraged!
There is a person (one project manager) at work, who has only been using a PC for about 1 year. This person works it very well, and learns a lot from us "well seasoned" users every day, which makes things even easier + productive for that person.
Sice I have been there, have noticed that this person has evolved greatly in "PC Fluency".

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#27268 07/11/03 01:10 PM
B
Also, if you want to see some Excel spreadsheets that might inspire you to build a custom sheet for your own business, check out http://www.eng.clemson.edu/cica/Toolbox/toolbox

They have the following (and many others):
Project Scheduling control sheet or one for Scheduling smaller projects .

Cost Report including owner/customer changes and COs (cost overruns).

Cost to Complete Summary .

Cost Estimate .

And one of my favorite,
Cost/BID comparison .

Link Copied to Clipboard