ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27073 07/01/03 06:04 PM
M
macwire Offline OP
I was gonna put "Oops, I did it again" in the title, but I had a feeling such an overt reference to a Britney Spears song might get me banned [Linked Image] Or at least drawn and quartered. [Linked Image]

Anyway, you all may recall I applied for the electrical apprenticeship through the IBEW a few months back. I haven't heard back from them yet on that, but in the meantime I also signed up for the Telecom Installer apprenticeship.

I've looked over the job description on the NJATC website, but I'd also like to hear from those on this board who do low-voltage installation and repair. How does it differ from the usual journeyman wireman jobs? Are the jobsites similar? The crews? Anything you can tell me about the day-to-day of the job would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
MacWire

#27074 07/01/03 09:20 PM
T
macwire:
I was told that the score from the Electrical test can not be applied to the Telecom list--one must re-test.

Additionally, one must wait 6 months after taking a test before any re-tests.

Is it the same where you are?

#27075 07/01/03 09:50 PM
M
macwire Offline OP
I haven't even taken the placement test for electrical yet. They haven't contacted me for that as yet.

The telecom apprenticeship requires a separate application process. Separate sets of documents (diplomas, transcripts, etc) and a separate placement test. And yes, there are 6 months between placement tests for either apprenticeship.

MacWire

[This message has been edited by macwire (edited 07-01-2003).]

#27076 07/02/03 05:50 PM
Q
Hey Mac,
What state and county are you from? If I were you, I'd holdout as long as you can for the journeyman wire class. Do you have any experience in electrical work? If you do, ask the local if you qualify for book 4. If work is good, you might have a chance at getting on with a contractor and qualifying after a year to take a journeymen’s test. But, do everything possible to get into the apprenticeship first. Ask them if you take some algebra classes if that also might help your chances.

#27077 07/02/03 06:19 PM
M
macwire Offline OP
qopanel,
I'm from Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have no experience in electrical work per se, although I have done some cabling to connect computers together in a network. And work is not so good at the local in my area(IBEW 98), many journeyman wiremen are out of work and even some apprentices. So that may be part of the reason they haven't contacted me.

I'd really like to get into the wireman apprenticeship, but it's been over two months since I applied and still no word from them. So I've got to consider alternatives, and the telecom installer apprenticeship seems like a good one. Am I wrong?

MacWire

#27078 07/03/03 12:46 AM
N
Macwire,
They probably only hire once a year. You should find out when that is. Thats probably why you have not been contacted. The tel com installer program is good but they do not make as much $$$ as wiremen. You need to look at the different work each does and decide which interests you most. If it were me I would hold out for the wireman's apprenticeship. Don't get discouraged, work is terrible all over the country right now. It will turn around eventually, it always does.

#27079 07/03/03 12:40 PM
M
macwire Offline OP
I just found out that I'm not getting into the wireman apprenticeship, at least not this year. Apparently none of the paperwork I sent in got to them! Either got lost in the mail or misfiled somewhere. [Linked Image]

The local only takes applications for the wireman apprenticeship once a year, in April, so I'll have to wait for next April to apply again, if I do apply again. The problem is, my present employer is in not so good financial straights (just declared Ch. 11 bankruptcy) and I could be laid off at any time. So between waiting for next April to roll around, and then waiting for the application process to go through, well, I don't think I can afford to hold out for another shot at the wireman apprenticeship. As much as I would dearly like to.

So I guess I'll be waiting on the results of the telecom apprenticeship application. I delivered much of my paperwork by hand this time. Should have done that for the wireman application. [Linked Image]

MacWire

#27080 07/05/03 10:57 AM
M
macwire Offline OP
Woo Hoooo!! I just got a letter from the Telecom Apprenticeship inviting me to take the aptitude test on the 18th of this month!!

I'm on my way, guys.

MacWire

#27081 07/05/03 11:41 AM
Macwire,
What is it, that you want to do?.
The disciplines of Electrician and Telecoms Tech are two totally different fields, just ask PaulUK, he is a Qualified Telecoms Tech!.
Don't get me wrong mate, I'm not trying to be smart or discourage you from your chosen field of learning, but, reality says that these are two (not incompatible fields) they have the same basic theories behind them.

#27082 07/05/03 12:06 PM
If you want to try Telecoms,
have a look at these threads from the Non-US Forum, they may not apply to the US, but it will give you a good idea of what you are getting into!.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000063.html
http;//electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000111.html
Cue response from Paul?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard