ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#27014 06/28/03 03:39 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
In the US,
Do you have to have some sort of Licence to install Fire Alarms and Security systems?.
Does anyone at ECN hold these Qualifications/experience and do installs on Fire Alarms regularly?, just wondering. [Linked Image]

C
Trumpy,
requirements to install fire alarms vary from state to state, and even from county to county. Generally, a license is required to work on these systems.

In my home state of Rhode Island, a Master Electricians License permits you to work on any electrical system, inluding burglar and fire alarms.

There is also a Fire Alarm License which allows you to work on fire alarms. The only line voltage work you can do is install the 120 volt feed to the FA panel.

I know a bit about this since I used to work on fire alarms. If you have any questions, just ask. [Linked Image]

Peter

Peter
Trumpy Offline OP
CTwireman,
Thanks for the reply!. [Linked Image]
What I was wondering(in actual fact)was w/ respect to the type of cabling allowed for Fire alarms?.
Also, how many of the alarms that you work with, are connected to the Fire Department PFA system?.

C
Trumpy,

That's another good question. I can only speak from my own experience as I've only done work in 2 states. In RI, we are required to install the cables for the entire fire alarm cables system in metallic raceway (conduit, MC cable, or flexible metal conduit). For simple analog type systems, #14 THHN wire (I guess you would call in "single core" in your terminology) is used. For modern digital systems, twisted-pair shielded cable with a red jacket is used. Once installed, the system must be tested and approved by the electrician, electrical inspector, and the fire marshall.

Other states that I've been to don't require raceway for the cables, and the twisted-pair cable can be installed out in the open without protection. Of course, these cables still must be protected from damage per the NEC requirements.

As far as connection to the fire department goes, this is dictated by law, and again, this tends to vary state by state. It depends on the type of occupancy, that is, how many people can occupy the building and its use (ie-restaurant, club, theatre, etc.) We have a "local" system, that is, no direct connection to the FD. Systems that are connected to the FD are connected via a dedicated set of lines, or through radio boxes.

I have worked on about the same amount of local and FD connected alarms. The wiring is exactly the same, the only diffence is that we install a radio box and antenna for the connected systems.

I hope that helps.

Peter

Peter
Trumpy Offline OP
CTwireman,Thanks for your help!. [Linked Image]
As a fire-fighter, I often just want to know how to turn the damned things off, after the Fire Safety guy has disabled the alarm cancel feature, in behind the panel.
A screaming alarm after 10-12 minutes standing at a pump panel, gets just a tad annoying!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard