ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2697 07/20/01 08:43 PM
Tom Offline OP
Well, we've all sat around in this forum & condemned the really poor work of all those jackleg electricians. Let's hear about the best job you ever did. it can be from any point of view from making a lot of money to how good it looked.

My personal best was 19,000 square feet of office/test facility for Mountaineer Gas in Charleston, WV. Job came in on time, on budget (my budget) & had a zero item punch list. The engineer from the gas company said "I tried hard to find something wrong, but I couldn't." To top it all off, the general contractor paid me on time.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#2698 07/20/01 09:35 PM
S
good idea Tom !

a service call.,,,midnight......

old MDP 480 3 ph down, approx size 8' high 6' wide 2' deep, many fusible disco's. this served a pasta factory, many 50HP motors that pumped anahydrous in the same room..

freezers as large as a 4 car garage full of product down, head maint man's head spinning, vice prez on the ph every 5 min for an update, anahyd amonia starting to leak into the MDP area as i was tearing it apart.

i found the flash-over point ,motor spikes probably jumped the bad connection , our eyes were watering from the amonia by then .

Sometimes your a hero or a zero, no inbettween.......... [Linked Image]

I've been getting "pig pasta" ever since

[Linked Image]

#2699 07/21/01 06:21 PM
F
166,000 sq.ft. light manufacturing building. 368 400W MH light fixtures, 12,000 ft. 3/4 EMT, 16,000 ft. 1/2" EMT, 4500' 12-3 SOOW cord(pendants)150 miles #12 & #10 THHN, 6000' 500 MCM, 400 tons 480V A/C, 8 dry transformers(120/240 & 208/120)all done by 3 of us- ahead of schedule!

#2700 07/21/01 08:51 PM
At a local Drive-In Restaurant..(remember those?)
Rebuilt 6 outdoor menu signs and ran new feeder to all signs and outline lighting... (started out as a "bulb change"...there were no ballasts in two of the signs and all of them had atrocious wiring...)
Rewired a Fryer (with 190ÂșC wire) and "repaired" the on/off switch (rotary type with points, which one side had failed to make contact...)
Replaced Switches for Exhaust Fan and Hood Lights, tightened up all three hood lights, a "completely dismantle to repair ordeal..."
Tightened up ceiling fan and replaced socket and globe, again it had to be dismantled first...
Replaced 250V A/C Receptacle.
Replaced 125V A/C Receptacle.
Replaced blacklight bulb and switch in bug zapper...
Tightened cord connector in marquis sign (not as easy as it sounded, had to dismantle almost the entire thing in this one too!)...
Didn't have to order a single part and fixed everything on the customer's list.

If I actually accomplish everything I have scheduled for the next two weeks I'll post the results and declare a miracle. Rough-in a 2600 sq ft house and wire a service and feeders for a music festival... Yes the nightmare came true and they both occurred in the same two week period... I was afraid of that.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-21-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#2701 07/22/01 01:48 AM
J
New 3 phase 600 amp 208/120 service in an old brown-stone tv studio building, parallel feed to a beautiful 600 amp I line breaker panel 6' high by 4' wide. Stepped up to 480V by using transformers backwards for elevator and HVAC !. Put in many sub panels.
Wired elevator shaft, elevator control panel, hall switches and totally rewired old car. (Yes it works!)Learned all about knob & tube wiring, HAHAHA (:
Built 2 TV lighting grids (wish I new more at the time). And installed new digital phone system.

#2702 07/22/01 03:31 AM
M
As an informed and very interested DIY'er, I have been fascinated with the photos and posts placed in the forums here...it seems that basic common sense is sometimes a requirement that can be set aside for the sake of a few $. I have just been completing a rewire of a 100 year old brick house, and discovered five distinct generations of elec. renos-six oct. junction boxes in an unfinished basement with KT,, some old romex with paper filler, #12 UF, BX (Armored cable), and some new NMD90 sprouting octopus-like from each J-box.(!) (Made the job of tracing the circuits quite easy...)The house had 8 branch circuits originally, including elec. dryer and range (!)It now has 20.Incidentally, I have the common sense to leave the SE and panel install to the pros.(As is usually required.) Thought you might like to know.

#2703 07/23/01 02:19 AM
E
Has to be my last christmas shutdown project, when I still worked for the largest elec. contractor in the U.S., I ran an inhouse account at a near by smiconductor plant.
Had to replace old buss from detached u.p.s. bldng.whith 36" cbl. tray. Cbl. tray was 360' run, ranging from 15' above ground, to 40' above ground were it went into the plant,& held 10 armored cbls., each one w/4-750mcm & 3#4's. Cbl. was 12lbs per foot, making each spool about 5000lbs.
Set 2 new 5000a $gear at each end w/tie brkr.

Had a 18hr window (christmas day) to coordinate 27 men, do all the terminations & switch over to get plant back into production before Dec.26.

Everything went unbelievably well, switched over to new feeds, flipped tie brkrs (no explotions, allways kinda nervouse testing that two power source closed tie brkr. theory). Rapped up a $550,000.00 job, no one got hurt,& no production lost.

I would like to add this was only made possible by the best group of dedicated electritions a superintendant could ever ask for, I GIVE ALL THE CREDIT TO THEM.

#2704 07/23/01 08:06 AM
In '76, I rehabilitated an amusement park that had been shut down for 4 yrs.
There were tigers, giraffes, bears, etc. on site. We even used an elephant to tug some wire. I worked with the movie set folks and special effects guys building stages for the shows. Hot summer afternoons were spent repairing underwater lighting (hundreds of PAR56 in the old dolphin pools), pulling them out while wearing an air mask in the crystal clear water. The whole park was just full of pretty girls.

I've done lots of work since, some that went more smoothly, almost all making better money than this one did, but I've never had more fun than I did on this job.

#2705 07/23/01 08:29 PM
I worked with the movie set folks and special effects guys building stages for the shows.

Ahhh...

You've done some "Best Boy" work I see!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#2706 07/24/01 12:28 AM
G
Wouldn't Electure have been the Gaffer? Or maybe from his talk of fun, he was the Best Boy and his Gaffer had to do all the work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard