ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26965 06/26/03 10:49 PM
G
Went to look at a job today in which a builder I do a lot of work for is finishing a home someone else started.

The job is in my home county which has no electrical permits or inspections,or any inspections for that matter except septic systems.

The rough electrical and plumbing was done by a guy who holds a non-restricted license in my state in both trades. Now, our co. does both and I was asked to look at both systems and see what needed to be done to finish the job.

The 200a 40space loadcenter had 14 tandem or "piggyback" breakers in it,wires were laying all over the ground in the crawlspace,some going somewhere and some just laying there,the garage had a 20 space main lug panel with 12 ckts,no disco(detached garage) no ground rods. Wires for ceiling fans stubbed through the wood ceiling with no box or blocking for support,
and other off the wall stuff.

As most of you regulars here know I'm not licensed (YET!) my question is this,why do some electricians feel that when nobodys "watching" they can do as they please?

I know the guy that did this and he knows better.

The plumbing was even worse than the wiring.

Russell

#26966 06/26/03 11:09 PM
Russ:
I guess that if we had or allowed a "no license/no permit/no inspection" system here in NJ it would be the same as what you have to face, and compete with.

Maybe it's "the nature of the beast", or "I can make more if I do it this way", or "it works, don't it??"

We have some "banshee's" running around here, hit n' run type guys, no licenses, no permits (breaking the law twice), and the work is BAD. We also have some licensed guys that lack workmanship skills. We also have some quality craftsmen.

Keep the faith
John

John
#26967 06/26/03 11:10 PM
J
Unfortunetly (sp?) personal integrity like common sense can't be legislated, it must come from within. Although our work doesn't show I have too much pride in my work to lower myself to this level. I feel that the customer should their work performed to the best of my ability.

#26968 06/27/03 01:04 AM
L
I get frequent calls to troubleshoot a "friend of the family's" wiring jobs. They tell me "He works at the plant as an electrician." I spent three hours today trying to find how this "electrician" made the neutral a hot. it was a mess , 3-3 way switches and 4 fixtures WITH dimmers. He knocked out half the house with his "wild leg" antics.
I am guilty of doing some Jack-Leg (un-licensed) work in my days, but the feeling of leaving a house wondering whether you'll see the evening news report of a house burned down, well you get the picture. It changed me.
I would inform the homeowner of ANY dangerous wiring.
It's Our Responsibility

#26969 06/27/03 12:55 PM
W
GAsparky:
As most of you regulars here know I'm not licensed (YET!) my question is this,why do some electricians feel that when nobodys "watching" they can do as they please?

i have always believed this, that if someone doesnt have the sense or the want-to to do it right whether their is someones there or not , it will catch up with them.
I find it to be at least 90 % of the time to be work-ethic, the other I think is not having a clue in the first place and they shouldnt even be on the job.
I have tried in my area to work this out but its fighing city hall again, and always seems to be a NO-WIN situation.

Wm.Colt

#26970 06/28/03 03:23 AM
Lonestar,
I get frequent calls to troubleshoot a "friend of the family's" wiring jobs. They tell me "He works at the plant as an electrician." I spent three hours today trying to find how this "electrician" made the neutral a hot.
Certainly makes you wonder what the wiring at the "plant" is like, eh?. [Linked Image]
Other side of the coin though, I don't know how many times I've had to finish a job started by another "electrician", only for it to quickly turn to custard, when wires have'nt been run properly or at all,as it has been at times.
I know where you are coming from there, mate!. [Linked Image]

#26971 06/28/03 07:27 PM
S
so here we are, people who've done thier time in the trade, paid thier dues, gone the distance , and all we really want is a level playin' field right?

mind you, while many here have voiced thier discontent repeatedly, the 'regulating' entities (re; fat&happy subsidized by YOUR tax dollars btw)) continue to pump out standards which are met without the same 'enforcement' growth.

#26972 06/28/03 08:29 PM
G
Gwz Offline
No knowing any other States' adopted Code ( Electrical), but if the State does adopt an
electrical code, I would guess, that somewhere in the adopted code or other Administrative Rules of the State, that it has words similar to:

"All electrical installations in this State SHALL be installed as per the adopted codes."

Meaning, no matter who does an electrical installation, it shall meet the adopted code.

Enforcing such codes is another problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard