ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#261 01/05/01 09:11 AM
B
I have a 15 amp GFI circuit breaker that trips everytime the microwave oven is started. The microwave is not on the same circuit as the cb, and no matter what circuit in the house or garage I plug the microwave in, when it is turned on it trips the cb. If the microwave is off, everything works fine. I have changed out the GFI cb with a new one and it still does it. The only way it will work, is with a standard cb. Also, with the microwave plugged in a GFI receptacle, it does not trip it, but will still trip the GFI cb that is on another circuit. The microwave is new. Any suggestions??????????

#262 01/05/01 11:09 AM
Don't know if this is any help, but I've been having a tough time even getting SQ D GFCI Circuit Breakers... Something about a recall, I've been told by my local supplier. And I was also told that the problem with them is inadvertant tripping. The symptoms you're having sounds like the problem that started the recall, but I'm really in the dark here and I'm really guessing big time.

Any additional comments, guys?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#263 01/05/01 12:41 PM
R
A micro oven doesnt have to be on a gfci circuit.If you microwave is in the kitchen.it can be pluged in to a dedicated single 20 a recp. the reason your gfi trips on another circuit doesnt make sense.If the micro is pluged in to another one.it is possible you may think its on a diffrent circuit but it could be fed downstream from the gfci breaker or device.

#264 01/05/01 07:08 PM
B
Bob: This is an interesting event. There is always a logical explanation for all effects of electricity. Unfortunately, I do not have an immediate answer, or possibly no answer.
I will investigate the power supplies of micro-wave ovens. I think they present a non linear load. This can produce a distorted sine wave. I will also look at frequencies this produces, and see if there can be some relationship with the sensing system of the other non related device.
Keep us informed if you discover a more sensible resolution, or cause.

#265 01/05/01 08:55 PM
J
Hi,

My 1 & 1/4 cents worth ( darn Canadian money )....most microwaves will operate ok on a 15 amp circuit....but with the power output increasing every year ( 800-900-1000-1100 watts ) it may be best to have a 12 gauge 20 amp circuit dedicated for the micro only.
We have run into this with many of the newist micros on the market. A standard outlet and breaker is often best :-)

jeff.
http://www.applianceaid.com/

#266 01/06/01 08:36 AM
S
I had a situation where a neutral was bad, but it only showed up under a load condition.
I'd be inclined to crank up that wave, and do some metering.... [Linked Image]

#267 02/24/01 03:17 AM
S
Your problem sounds likeit could be an improper splice. I have seen experienced electricians that do not understand the principal behind a GFCI circuit and splice it incorrectly. It's possible that your ground and neutral are bonded together somewhere in the house. In any event I would suggest getting a shortstop and start looking at your junction boxes.

#268 02/26/01 09:48 PM
E
The mic should be on a dedicated cicurit.But if you wish to GFCI the mic try a type B GFCI

Link Copied to Clipboard