ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
SJT Offline
When I do a rough, I generally install 22cu. inch boxes where the switches are going to go. As a habit, all ceiling boxes,where a fan might go are Fan rated. All smokes are 4" metal rounds. A few extra bucks here and there are well worth it. I also like to see all the cables flat. I think when you try to be neat, it can become a good work habit. When the walls are open is the time for us to show our work and the pride we have.

Z
CT,- 2 wire traveler a violation??????

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
T
zapped208,
I believe CT is referring to 300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit

Donnie
H
Hey CT,

You posted, ..."No overhead lights in bedrooms...", Am I missing somehing? Is that a problem?

HE

R
Hello Harold, I kind of wondered that myself, but figured this must be a local issue.

Roger

T
Roger,Harold,
CT stated that this was not a violation. Only a switched receptacle would be required by the NEC, but for $750,000 I would be expecting to see alot more than a switched outlet for a lamp. Such as recessed cans,cove lighting, and a ceiling fan or two!!

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 06-23-2003).]

Donnie
R
Donnie, thanks for pointing that out, and my appologies Peter for not reading closer. [Linked Image]

Roger

Z
txsparky,- IMO,a 2wire traveler is not a violation,300.3B states "and where used",you do not need the grounded conductor if you are not using it. E.Gnd yes.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
C
Re the 2 wire traveller issue. I have followed the debates on this topic here and else where and the general concensus is that this is wrong. As Rick mentioned this practice usually involves "neutral borrowing."

It may be code legal by some interpretations but I doubt it. Besides that, most people do this to save on 14/3 or 12/3 which is pretty lame, IMO.

Rick G,

No, not an RI company this time, though when I was in RI there were plenty of companies that did the "2 wire travellers."

tx,
Yeah, I expected a little bit more lighting and fan boxes for that price too.

It seems like the electrical work is always the job that gets skimped the most. They never cut corners on the plumbing in these houses!! [Linked Image]

Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 06-24-2003).]

Peter
J
I just walked thru a $600K home. It was having the mechanicals roughed in. The bathroom exhaust fans were the $10 Home Depot special, noisy and only 50cfm. The windows were vinyl inside and out.

At that price point I would certainly want more for my dollar. I don't know if they even offer a structured wiring package.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard