ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#26779 06/30/03 07:52 PM
S
this trade has it humour also

#26780 06/30/03 08:31 PM
D
You mean people actually follow that "Code" thingie?

Most of our calls are EMS. Station one = two ambulances, primary engine, backup/extrication engine, tower ladder. Station two = former front line engine, and an ambulance.

Each shift has a "minimum staffing level" of 7 - at St. 1 we run 2 FF/PM dedicated to the "front line" ambulance; two more on 2nd line squad (Ambulance=Squad="Rescue" in our town) - usually FF/PM's, but we still have a few "grandfathered" folks who can be FF/EMT-B's. These guys also double as the engineer and "jump" man for engine responses. One Shift Commander (appointee), usually a hard-ranked (civil service) Lt. Extra folks usually wind up occupying truck or jump positions, to dedicate the engineer to the engine.

Two FF/PM's at our "west side" station, that man whatever vehicle is needed, and bring themselves and their ambulance into town if we get multiple ambulance calls.

We've been trying to get the FD to enact SOP/SOG's, but our brass think that the union's trying to run the dept - in fact, they either a)don't want to be told how to do things, and b) are ignorant about the scope of OSHA/IDOL's punitive capabilities! It winds up where we have three fire departments sharing a station and wearing the same uniform - if you get shift traded, first priority is forgetting how you used to do it! [Linked Image]

Usually run Ambulance to accidents, unless it comes in as an entrapment / rollover / big MF'er, then they roll a squad (ambulance) and our extrication engine. Structural response, two engines, ambulance, ladder truck (depending on type of structure, nature of call, available manpower in station).

And yes,

#26781 07/01/03 06:45 AM
S
nice to see what proper funding can do DougW

we don't have a lot, but our state does have a neat web site

#26782 07/05/03 04:56 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Let's get one straight here, no Code references, this is why I was a bit stand-offish about posting a thing like this.
Let's start off with the parking of Fire Appliances at Incidents, under the SOP's(Standard Operating Procedures), you have to park a Fire Appliance(Pump) at 45 degrees to the road, next to the house where you are working.
(Our turnout crews are a wee bit different to the US guys, as in we have the First-Aid hose Reel and we only use Flaked Deliveries, if it is REALLY necessary).
Also, our hose sizes are measured in mm's, not inches!.
If you're really keen, give us a pic of your Fire-Fighter Kit!.
How common is the Elkhart Branch in the US?.

#26783 07/05/03 05:05 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just so that there are no differences in terms between me and the US fire-fighters, I would like to submit some basic terms to this thread:
  • Delivery= Hose(from the Appliance to the fireground)
  • Branch=Nozzle(this should be self-explanatory)
  • Appliance= Pump(see below)
  • PRT= Pump rescue tender(While our Appliances are not called Tenders), this is an appliance that carries both Fire-fighting AND Rescue Gear, with an Air Compressor for spreaders and cutting gear.
    This is normally an initial turn-out appliance.
  • BA=Breathing Apparatus, anyone who has been a Fire-fighter should know what this means!.
  • Suction hose= Big hose used to draught water out of creeks,streams and swimming pools, normally with a strainer on the end!.
  • Turn-out Crew= One Officer(Senior Fire-fighter or Higher Rank), Driver(again being a Qualified FF or SFF, with Driver and Pump Operation Quals) and two Qualified Fire-Fighters or Senior Fire-fighters, in the back seat!. [Linked Image].
  • Our hoses are ALL in millimetres in diameter, but, I can convert them all in my head,so I don't think there's a problem there, guys!.

If anyone would like to submit a similar list of terms, peculiar to the US w/ regard to Fire-Fighting, that would be cool!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-05-2003).]

#26784 07/05/03 11:16 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sparky,
I just checked out the Humour link that you posted above.
Oh, how true!. [Linked Image],but I must say don't give us guys any other ideas than what we have already got.
When I was a Paid(Career) Firefighter, we had a Divisional Officer (DO), that no-one particularly liked,mainly because of his attitude towards Operational Staff and we set him up to go into the smoke chamber on one our regular BA courses and one of the FF's pulled his BA mask off, there was no heat or anything, just a whopping great Stink-Bomb, that was thrown in there by a Senior Station Officer, a few minutes before-hand.
We ALL got in trouble over that one, even the rookie FF, that was standing outside of the smoke chamber, with the Fire Extinguisher, in case something went "wrong",apparently he laughed so hard, it gave the whole show away!.
It was REAL fun though!!. [Linked Image]

#26785 07/05/03 07:56 PM
S
ah, the 'smokehouse' , fine long standing establishment of maltese cross bearers world wide!

my first (scenario) experience was with a squad performing a right hand search for a downed FF

the Lt. hid himself well, and we failed miserably, after a while he started ranting from his spot....

"i've paid taxes all my life yaknow, and all i get is loosers that wouldn't know if thier a** was on fire"

Laughing sure seems to use up an SCBA a lot quicker... [Linked Image]

#26786 07/19/03 05:58 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
OK,
Lets start with training, what happens at your Brigade/Department with respect to inducting New Recruits, as in how are they trained up to a level, where they become Operational Staff, is Medical training a normal part of FF training in the US, or is this an extra skill?.
What are the basics of FF training in the US?.

#26787 07/19/03 06:16 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
BTW,sparky,
The smoke chamber was the ONLY way to give New FF's the taste of the heat of the fire, before they actually hit the real thing!.
These days, we burn an old derelict house down, in 4-5 stages, but it's too controlled, nothing counts for the madness and confusion of turning up at a K-99 house fire at 0230,when everyone is still half asleep!. [Linked Image]

#26788 07/19/03 07:26 AM
S
It depends where one goes in the US Trumpy, quite the wide gambit as to what is considered 'operational'

in other words, there are standards, yet not every locale' subscribes to them

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard