ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#26641 06/17/03 08:13 PM
D
DougW Offline OP
Maybe just a FNG question, but thought it might be worth askin'...

Seen several mentions in other posts about occupations other than electrical (i.e. Fire Service), and it makes me wonder...what do you folks do other than the electrical biz? Which one do you consider your "primary" or "secondary" occupation?

To lead it off, I've been a full time Firefighter / Paramedic (24/48) for a suburban department outside of Chicago for 8+ years. I consider it my "primary" job, since I've been doing it longer, and I'm building a pension at it. Electrical work takes place on my "off" days.

On the flip side, my foreman is a Lt. on our volunteer dept., and considers electrical to be his F/T gig. No hard feelin's or conflicts, as the combo works well for the shop. (We're too small during slow periods for 3 F/T'rs, and they know I have another source of income)

Just curious.

Doug

S
I do EMS

R
Doug, off the subject but relevent to your status, save yourself some grief and drop the FNG title. [Linked Image]

Roger

N
The electrical work is a sideline here.

Full-time gig is as an electronic instrument designer for an environmental engineering lab. Lots of long-term field installations of water quality and meteorological stations, as well as the design and construction of specialized instruments that we cant purchase commercially.

The field installations often involve either photovoltaics/inverters or utility power to run the equipment, so my employer actually paid me to get my electrical license a few years back, so they would have someone on staff, and not have to hire out the power wiring.

So they got their in-house electrician, and I developed a decent weekend/evening business doing mostly residential work.

P
My main work is in electronics: Radio, TV, telephone etc. The electrical wiring is part-time, as and when anyone needs my services in this rather quiet, rural area.

I
Electrician 24/7 I guess I should start looking for a second job. [Linked Image]

While we are on this subject, what is the relationship between firefighter/rescue workers and electricians? [Linked Image]

It seems the majority of electricians I know that have two careers are firefighters.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Z
Electrician 24/7, work full time for my employer, plus I have my own small business.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
R
I work as the E & I technician for a chemical company. With 23 years here, I have plenty of vacation, all but which about 1 week goes to working my electrical business.
Fortunately, I can take my vacation in 1/2 days. So it allows me to operate the business to some extent during the daytime.

G
GEO Offline
electrician by trade .city electrical inspector occupation with building and accessibility responsibility. PEACE

[This message has been edited by GEO (edited 06-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by GEO (edited 06-18-2003).]

S
Sr. Electrical Designer by day...
Lead guitar player at night.

you know what they say ... "all work and no play..."

Bob
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard