ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26560 06/15/03 03:51 AM
N
Nagelec Offline OP
We intend to use the MC (Metal clad) cable on cable trays in the existing offshore platform which has presently the conduit installations. I would like to know how the MC cable (Aluminium sheathed) shall enter from Div.1 area into the MCC room (safe area). All the entries to the existing MCC room is as conduit entry. Can any one please clarify how this conversion (Cable to conduit)takes place?

R
Are you referring to using MC-HL cable(which is suitable for Div. 1 locations)in the Classified area ?
If so, why convert at all?
Why not run the MC cable right into the MCC?
Either way, proper cable seals will be required. And cable the terminator/seal fittings for MC-HL are about $50-60.00 ea. for 3/4" size.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 06-15-2003).]

L
LK Offline
Offshore and Aluminum sheathed, Just don't go together. A short length of alum mc was used for a quick repair, It lasted for about 3 months. It looked like it was there for years.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-15-2003).]

V
Run ridgid from the Div 1 area to the unclassified area and feed the cable through the conduit.

N
Nagelec Offline OP
Thanks for your replies.

Hi Redsy,
Yes it is MC-HL Aluminium sheathed cables to use in Div.1 Area. The cable has to enter into false flooring of MCC room from bottom, then run in the false flooring and get terminted into the MCC/DB mounted on the false flooring. So I want suggesstion about 1)how to enter into the false flooring, 2)how to run in the false flooring (i.e whether in the spliced form on cable trays until the MCC/DB) and 3)what are all the fittings required for proper entry into the false flooring (i.e gland, seals etc). Please clarify.

Hi LK,
Do you mean Aluminium sheathed cables are not suitable for offshore applications?

Hi Vickrey,

What is ridgid and how we can use the same for my requirement. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks in advance.

R
Nagelec,
Do you have a 2002 Crouse-Hinds catalog?
MC-HL used in Hazardous Locations needs to be terminated with TMCX fittings. (pages 76-77).
Try to run the cable directly to the MCC. You will need termination fitting at each end. It may be difficult to properly install the TMCX at the underside of the MCC, as you need some working room to install it.
Im not familiar with your false flooring, so I can't help, cable tray mey be necessary due to the support intervals required for MC cables (6').

N
Nagelec Offline OP
Hi Redsy,

Thank you for your reply. We are working on this issue to solve this. Before connecting the cable to MCC, the cable has to enter from Div 1 area (where electrical equipment is located) into false floor which is unclassified (safe area). So the cable has to be properly sealed before entering into the falseflooring.

R
Nagelec,

I don't believe that cable needs to be sealed within 10' of a classification boundary, as conduit does, per 510.5 (A)(4). The NEC doesn't specify, in 501.5(D), a maximum distance from where the classification changes to where a CABLE seal is required. This is probably due to the impervious jacket on MC-HL. I believe you can run the (intact) cable right up to the MCC and install the seal/terminator fitting on the MCC.

L
LK Offline
Yes not a good idea for platform work,if this in in the mcc room then conditions should be ok. not on any of the deck area. At one of our safety conf. the eng for the offshore operations showed us pictures of weather worn electrical. wow, you must have some intresting projects.

Link Copied to Clipboard