ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I've gotten several Emails today entitled "Dear PayPal Customer"
This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and credit card information by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name:
Credit Card #:
Exp.Date(mm/yyyy):
ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:
DON"T DO IT !!
I believe this is a scam to get your vital financial info

Bill

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for the warning, mate!.
I get heaps of these and other Spam in my email account.
And they ALL get sent to the Trash Can, which is where they belong!.

G
How come YOU get all the BEST e-mails?????

George,

I can have all of them forwarded to you!
No problem!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
LOL,
Have you guys ever had a problem with Pop-up advertising?
I know a site that can cure all of this rubbish!. [Linked Image]

P
Got to be a scam Bill. [Linked Image]

I have a PayPal account which I use quite regularly for buying from the States, and they have my credit card number and expiry date on file. If I only need to use my password on a secure link to make a payment, why on earth would they need to ask for the card details again just to "verify" your status?

And there's no reason whatsoever why PayPal or anyone else would need to know my ATM PIN.

Have you had a look at the message headers to see where it might have come from?

Paul,

I'm not too adept at gleaning pertinent info from these things, but both 'from' addresses seemed to be from PayPal (Update0zfs4e02x@paypal.com was one) and they seemed to have come through compuserve somehow.

My brother got some last week with a link that took him to a form. Mine had the form built right into the Email text and included PayPal Logos

The form seemed to execute something at:
paypal.com-(some zillion digit # here 0100101011100 etc)-@gratelol.port5.com/(0100101011100 ...).php

Here's the (disabled) Email

Bill

Bill
M
Bill:
Thanks for the heads up!! Kinda sounds like some of that Nigerian ^&%^&%$*%$( that I receive all the time [Linked Image]!

Mikke (mamills)

B
Bill, while those email addresses MAY look legit, the actual path often traces back through several 'mirror' domains, sites and servers. With a little more time (like most hackers, whackers and thieves seem to have because they're out making OFF with our money instead of out making their own danged money....), just about anyone can set up a convoluted maze for distribution of pure junk and make it pop out the other end looking every bit like the real thing.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 06-14-2003).]

S
Bill,
Have you e-mailed the REAL pay pal about this e-mail? I would suggest logging onto the real pay pal and e-mail them this form. See what they say. If it is a scam they should know about and warn all of their accounts.
Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard