ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I'm sure they know about it.
A quick search turned up a few stories on it:
http://news.com.com/2100-1018-991639.html
. http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1470291
The following has a sample similar to mine: http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScams.shtml#paypal

Bill

Bill
P
Bill,

The actual "from" field in the email is pretty meaningless, as that can contain anything the sender cares to put in it. What I'd be looking at is the route this mesaage took, compared to the systems that a genuine message from PayPal usually takes.

But even without that, it's got to be a scam anyway. There's no way that even your own bank should ever need to ask for your ATM code, nevermind anyone else.

M
I got one a while ago that looked to be from ebay and asked me to verify my account info including credit card.

The link in the email even showed the URL for an ebay page but didn't actually go there. It went to another address where an entire ebay website had been set up. All the links worked, It was a perfect reproduction of the real ebay but wasn't.

I emailed ebay with the address, got a thank you from them within 20 minutes and went to check and the other site was already gone.

P
It looks as though this scam has been going the rounds.

I found this thread on the UK eBay discussion board.

randall@ebay.com
16/06/03 4:48 PM (# 2 of 3)

Thank you for posting this, it is always good to remind users that they need to be careful.

PayPal will not ask for personal info in an email. We will also address you by the name you provided when signing up with PayPal. If the email says "Dear PayPal Customer" you will know it's not from us.

Cheers,
Randall
PayPal Consumer Relations

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-17-2003).]

That's just not on really!. [Linked Image]
Impersonating other peoples websites.
These people have no morals!.
I wish there was an International group that could police exactly what was sent over the Internet, with the likes of SPAM, pop-up advertising, etc.
After all, we are all paying to use this resource, shouldn't we have the right to use this without all the BS that comes in regardless of wether we want it anyway?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-20-2003).]

Trumpy,

I think things would have to get really opressively bad for many to agree that any regulation of any kind should be in place.

I just got another fake PayPal Email today and it made me think of this thread. Same as the first.

DON'T DO IT!

Bill

Bill
Bill,
I'm afraid that it is that way, every Webmaster has to make money and they employ people to send SPAM these days.
The internet is just becoming like one big Car lot, just an advertisers Dream, had to happen I suppose!. [Linked Image]

Bill,
I am not referring to ECN, of course.
Some Webmasters around just pimp everyones email addresses out to all and sundry, hence the large number of junk emails!. [Linked Image]

P
The internet is just becoming like one big Car lot,
Uh oh.....

"How 'bout this little Cray Supercomputer, Sir? It was owned by a little old lady from Pasedena who only used it to balance her checkbook!" [Linked Image]

Trumpy,

You're right I'm afraid.
We have had offers and inquiries about purchasing our Mailing Lists but would never sell them.

There also seem to be people or Computers that make up random email addresses and send out things. If it doesn't come back to them it gets added to their list to sell to some unsuspecting person or company that wants to promote their product. It's not unusual for me to get 20 copies of the same email at one time.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard