ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 365 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#26477 06/13/03 11:29 AM
Iwire & gentlemen:
Your reference to 210.4 (b) is for residential.....not comm or industrial.

IMHO, a multi-wire circuit should be on a common trip breaker, multi pole, or handle ties. This practice can prevent an incident or accident down the road.

It may not be "Code required" but it can be installed, and it may be in the job specs. If it's in the specs/design/prints, then it can be enforced by the AHJ.

John

John
#26478 06/13/03 11:48 AM
R
John,
If it's in the specs/design/prints, then it can be enforced by the AHJ.
The AHJ has no business enforcing the design specs. That is between the contractor and the engineer. The inspector can only enforce the code as adopted by the local unit of government.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#26479 06/13/03 10:44 PM
S
spkjpr Offline OP
Redsy, some good points as usual. I got the resi and industrial points of the code blurred together,again. I know, I know, it is the grounded conductor but I am so used to saying neutral, guess I need to get with the times. Thanks guys.

#26480 06/14/03 07:25 AM
I
Hotline,

Your reference to 210.4 (b) is for residential.....not comm or industrial.

Of course it is, that was my point, there is no requirement for commercial or industrial as you know.

My customers would not like a short on one office cube circuit to take out 2 other circuits.

Now you will say do not run multiwire circuits, but I do not make the office cubes (modular office partitions) and if they are wired for common neutral that is just how it is, beyond that I prefer to use multiwire circuits.

I have never had an inspector stick his nose in job specs and will not listen to them if they do.

I have had many prints that show multiwire circuits and never have they asked for common trip.

Feel free to install common trip breakers if you like but I will not.

What accidents are you speaking of, only qualified people should be opening boxes in any environment but most certainly in commercial and industrial installations the servicing electrician should be aware of common neutral circuits.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#26481 06/14/03 05:17 PM
S
Iwire summed it to a tee!!!
My thoughts exactly.
John

#26482 06/14/03 05:57 PM
Look here:

See 240.20 Ungrounded Conductors.(B)(1)

Multiwire Branch Circuit.

Except where limited by 210.4(B), individual single-pole circuit breakers, with or without approved handle ties, shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor of multiwire branch circuits that serve only single-phase line-to-neutral loads.

The NEC doesn't tell you about the open neutral hazards when working on a circuit of this type, and too many have found out otherwise!

I always say that if you hear a "loud yell and then a thump" you'll probably find out that the reason was when someone was changing a ballast .... only those who are qualified persons will understand this hazard!

The rule cited above, has been in the code for many years and was designed to overcome the questions associated with common trip or handle tied circuit breakers in an offfice occupancy.

Note:

The new 2005 NEC may require "listed" instead of "approved" handle ties because in their wisdom some would allow a nail or piece of wire, and say that it is "approved"

See that definition in Article 100.

See also Article 605

605.8 Freestanding-Type Partitions, Cord-and-Plug-Connected.

(D) Multiwire Circuits, Not Permitted.

Individual partitions or groups of interconnected individual partitions shall not contain multiwire circuits.

FPN: See 210.4 for circuits supplying partitions in 605.6 and 605.7.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-14-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#26483 06/14/03 11:04 PM
N
Joe
Please tell the partition manufacturers about 605.8. Have seen numerous multi wired light, switches and outlets in office partitions.
Are you saying we are not supposed to hook these up? [Linked Image]

ed
#26484 06/14/03 11:34 PM
R
nesparky,
The rule does not apply to office partitions that you would be hooking up. It only applies to cord and plug connected ones.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#26485 06/15/03 10:56 PM
V
A qualified electrician will have learned one way or another about the hazards of a common grounded conductor. I always treat such conductors as live. The reason for the residential requirement is because Joe Smucketelli's brother-in-law would jump of his 12 foot ladder and break his handy neck on the TV. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Vickrey (edited 06-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Vickrey (edited 06-15-2003).]

#26486 06/17/03 08:26 PM
D
Speaking of "...learning one wasy or another"

When I was first re-wiring my house (and unintentionally getting into the biz), I had switched the breakers off for the circuit in the 1900 I was replacing wire in. Went to strip the neutral for the branch circuit... strippers hit the side of the box and <<POP>> suddenly my 12ga stripper fit 10ga, and I saw purty lights!

Discovered the person who had messed around in the boxes before had piggybacked the neutrals from several circuits. (obviously)

Individual neutrals may be viewed as overkill, but I would think it makes for a safer installation.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard