ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Just curious how everyone warrantys their work they do, specifically the parts involved.

For example, a Timeclock, or Attic Fan you installed at the end of last season doesn't work this year. Customer is looking at you to fix or replace it, how do you handle it?

How about Electronics, Low Voltage switching modules, motion detectors, etc that may be sensative to voltage spikes, Lightning storms etc?

Bill

Bill
W
I warranty electronics all the time. If the company stands behind their parts then so do I but its the part not my labor. Where I don't deal with homeowners its not a big deal. If the part failed within hours and or a few days then I generally eat the labor but it depends on whether or not I have to keep the peace [Linked Image]
I can't imagine its that easy dealing with homeowners though [Linked Image]

S
I deal with this issue by having the homeowners obtain thier own fixtures.

In the residential arena, the markup vs. the agravation makes this a standard for me.

If i am requested to purchase (for instance) a motion detector i will inform them they are getting a high end ( usually $80 and up) model w/warranty that they sign/mail in.

If a customer is in a high lightning area, i will point out the sensitive switching, or other electronics that i will buy/install may require some level of protection.

Past that, my policy is simply to wire everything bomb proof

I
We do parts and labor for one year, excluding lamps.

I believe this is a MA state requirement but I am not sure on that.

We do not do residential work, what gets interesting is some large retail chains supply the distribution and lighting equipment for there projects but we still have to do the warranty work on these items for free. This is by contract not the law.

So when they buy the cheapest lighting they can find we know we will be back changing ballasts many times during the year.

We can either buy the ballasts ourselves or chase the manufactures.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I can't imagine its that easy dealing with homeowners though
walrus,

You can say that again! I think your approach is fair and justified, but it doesn't usually go over so well with the residential and small business customers.

Bill

Bill
Sparky,

I've been inclined to go with your method of letting them pick out their own stuff as much as practical, but I'm sure that you can agree that doesn't always work out either.

If you are asked to supply things like Electronic switches, motion detectors, etc, and they later go bad, say under 1 year, do you replace for FREE?

Bill
Bill:
Had to jump in here.....
The "good/regular" clients (comm) get a 1 year, no questions asked warranty. THe mfg usually stands behind there products, if you "buy" the better grade items. The 1 year does exclude lamps/bulbs unless covered by the mfg.

We do a lot of site lighting, and on new installs with one brand, here is there warranty policy:
Fixture/pole finish; seven (7) years
Fixture components; three (3) years
BULBS, one (1) year.

I have to say that we ahve had very, very few "call-backs", even with that ^ warranty. BTW, they pay for materials; RGA basis thru the factory, and may consider renumeration for labor in some circumstances.

John

John
S
but I'm sure that you can agree that doesn't always work out either.
True, no one format is universal

If you are asked to supply things like Electronic switches, motion detectors, etc, and they later go bad, say under 1 year, do you replace for FREE?

yes, if in face the product, not the usage, is bad...

E
I insist I buy everything except surface mount light fixtures. Everything I buy, lots of dimmers, undercabinet lights and such, one year warranty. My supplier takes these returns without a hassle. Labor I eat and don't worry about it. If the problem is with something they buy they are billed for my time. I feel part of marking up products you sell is to cover yourself in this situatiion.

P
Experience in this arena is the best teacher.
When I first started contracting, I would give the house away, a great way to build the business, but no way to make money. Always running,
Now I have learned the 'good customers' residential or commercial will pay for good work, reliable work, and someone who answers the phone. Also most people do not value free work and than they expect it. What I tell them is two of my favorite lines.
1. When they ask for volume discounts -
"when you go to the grocercy store do you ask for a discount on the milk you buy?"
2. If they ask 'what can you do with the price?' Lets say the quote was $ 32,500.00
"make it $35,000.00"
This lets them know that I do not bargain. The general public today has been trained (brainwashed) to always try to get a bargain.
As my business grew I learned (mostly the hard way) to weed out the ones who did not want to pay. Time and experience will show you what works for you.

School of hard knocks,

Pierre

P.S. If we had these forums when I started, it probably would have been easier.

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard