ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Z
ZR600 Offline OP
Does anyone know when they started requiring smoke detectors in residential bedrooms. I seem to remember the six foot outside the bedroom door rule. Thanks in advance for any help............Brian

E
I think this is a local AHJ rule based on the "Life Safety Code" not the NEC. In my area for single family residential a smoke is required within 10 feet of every bedroom. They will accept them in the bedrooms, but not required. In fact one inspector told me not to put the smoke in the bedroom because he didn't want the smoke on the arc fault and by code it would have to be if in the bedroom.

Z
ZR600 Offline OP
Thanks I just found it in Wisconsin's comm 21.09.............Brian

G
Gwz Offline
I believe you should check with the local or state building codes.

I would be suprised if smoke detectors are not required in every bedroom and adjacent area(s) if any of the recent building codes have been adopted.

Smoke detectors, CO2 detectors ( as well as many other items ) are not part of the NEC, but if installed, must be wired per the NEC.

P
zr6000,
in california the requirement for smoke detectors in bedrooms originated in the 1991 uniform building code(1992 calif. building code).prior to that time it was to be centrally located in an area giving access to sleeping rooms.

Link Copied to Clipboard