ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2620 07/15/01 11:05 PM
I was just curious if anyone here does any Fiber or intends to, interested in, etc. It's pretty amazing stuff.

I just completed a training course a couple of weeks ago in Boston and am now oficially a C.F.O.T. (Certified Fiber Optics Technician) BTW, not nearly as difficult to work with as I first thought.

Bill

Bill
Broom Pusher and
Bill,

Could you pass the info. about that course to me?? Is there an Online course, or one in So. California? Hope so [Linked Image]
If not, need a link to a good and quick Human Cloning company, so I can go to Boston and also be onsite in California at the same time [Linked Image]

TIA! See 'ya

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott,

As luck may have it, this training may be available here at ECN real soon.

Any other interest here?

Bill

Bill
S
My Bro in Boston does Fiber, keeps sayin' i can sub out for a week if i'm slow, great $$$
interested for mercinary purposes !

Didn't the mag run a 6-part series?

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-16-2001).]

D
doc Offline
I have played with fiber optics but nothing serious do know u can use a flashlight to test to see if it is broken would like to learn more about.Another thing also would be PLC training

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
R
Originally posted by doc:
I have played with fiber optics but nothing serious do know u can use a flashlight to test to see if it is broken would like to learn more about.Another thing also would be PLC training

I don't know Doc, if the line is broke iside insulation it may still show the light. How do you judge the light intensity, I don't know.

As far a PLC, didn't know they used them with fiber optics, but an PLC is not that complicated as long as you understand ladder diagrams, and understand relay logic.

On a PLC you connect all the controls (input/output) to (incoming/outgoing) terminals on the PLC terminal panel. Then PLC controls all {relay} operations. Learning the symbols and their functions are what matter. Much better than relay panels, especially if you make a mistake, quick to fix. Thats what I remember, hope it helps!

[This message has been edited by Resistor (edited 07-21-2001).]

doc,

I was talking about Fiber Optics in regards to communications - like as a replacement for copper wires. Right now I believe that about 90% of all long distance telephone cables are fiber now.

As to PLC's have you seen our area at ECN?

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/PLC_Page.htm

Bill
O
i would like to know more about it

old Appy,

Welcome back!
If you have any specific questions just ask.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard