ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26143 05/31/03 12:40 AM
C
I took 100 pounds of scrap romex and other insulated wire to the junk yard the other day. Man, was I disappointed when the scale guy handed me a $20 bill!! [Linked Image] All that effort, for $20. Waste of time!!

I asked the guy what the deal was and he said the last time copper paid anything decent was back in '97.

New romex is just as cheap, probably for the last 4 or 5 years that I can remember. I don't think I've seen a 250' coil of 12/2 sell for more than $20-22 in that time.

Is there a glut of copper on the market or something? new manufacturing technique? Anyone know?

-Peter

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 05-31-2003).]

Peter
J
Not long ago i spent two full days hacking,grinding,sawing at an old constant current transformer (used to control/feed air field lighting)until i arrived at the end product, a solid copper transformer that needed two men to lift.

Rubbing my hands together wandering what i should spend my well earned wedge on, i set off for the scrap yard, dropped it on the scales and like your self, felt like hitting the bloke with my brused and cut hands. Ever since, i haven't even considered weighing anythink else in.

As for the reason prices are so low, sorry haven't a clue?

[This message has been edited by james S (edited 05-31-2003).]

S
Around here, they pay more for copper ONLY if ALL the insulation is removed first.

N
Hello from South Dakota.

I did some demo work at the local University back in August of last year, and was able to take all of the old disco's and panel boards with me. Spent two days tearing them all apart and busting my knuckels in the process.

When i took all of the solid copper buss bars to the salvage yard, I had a heart attack when I only got $73.22. I thought it was just a local thing.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
I thought last year I got over .50/lb for bare copper??

I know that insulated was much less and jacketed stuff and BX was almost worthless because of all the labor involved for them to strip it.

Bill

Bill
T
Clean copper #1 ( Size 4 and larger) brings .55/lb here.

Donnie
P
My, how times have changed. Copper is at an all time high. Two and a half years later, 12/2 Romex is $55 for 250' (Lowes). In June '03 (original post), copper was about $1 per pound. Now it's $2.11 a pound. Makes me wish I would've invested in romex, copper pipe, and saved the scrap copper flashing from a neighbor's roof that he had me haul away. Next time copper is low, I'll buy as much as I can.
-Josh

D
Clean copper goes for $2.00/lb. for #4 or bigger. $1.50 for #6 and smaller. No insulation. Here in N.Y.C.

D
1.60lb for all-brite
1.50lb for #1 copper
and down from there.

Trenton NJ area

Dnk....

L
LK Offline
Something is wrong, copper scrap has never been higher, you may be selling to a reseller, they pay less then a scrap dealer.
We check the market price on the net or in the paper before we bring ours in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard