ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25933 05/24/03 02:29 AM
R
Hello everyone...

I have been told that a bare bulb inside of a closet or other confined space will not pass inspection. But will a bare bulb in a porcelan fixture in a moderately large bedroom with less than 7 foot ceiling pass inspection? Ideally I would find a clip on shade eventually. Thanks for your help.

remarked

S
I don't see a code violation, but wouldn't logic dictate putting a 'low profile' enclosed fixture?

Z
remarked,- Art.410.8 has the requirements for closets, and yes it is a violation for a bare lamp in a closet.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
E
It is absolutely a violation to install a bare or even partially covered lamp in a closet. NEC article 410.8 (C) A fluorescent strip over the door is the best bet provided it has six inches clearance from the storage area.

A
I think a bedroom cieling less than 7' is some sort of building violation but not the electricians problem.

The reason a keyless is alloud is because not much chance of anything touching it (except your head if have a 6' something cieling).

Open bulb lamps are a big fire hazard. If the closet is overfilled and the bulb is left on something near the bulb could start a fire. I have seen old appartments with a pullchain below the hanger rod. The bulb was tuching the cloths. No fire becuse everyone would remember to turn off the light.

We don't use any incadesent lamps in closests except walk-in. What would happen if the globe breaks in the fucture? The customer would probibly still use it like like a keyless lamp and you again have the fire hazard.

Floresent lamps don't get very hot but we still have to put the edge of them 12" from the shelf edge. Figure this for rough:
12" clearance
12" shelf
5/8" drywall
2 1/4" to center of lamp
--------------------------
About 27" to the center of box to closet back wall.

From the center of the box to the front of the closet you need:
2 1/4" for lamp
5/8" for drywall
-----------------
About 3"

So the rough opening of the closet front to back wall needs to be minimum 30" to put the light on the cieling.

To avoid this we will put it on the wall above the door if possable.

We have also put in recesed can lights with shower trims. This costs more and is disappointing with the dim light output.

R
Hello everyone..I appreciate all your responses. From them I understand that a bare bulb in a porcelan fixture on a low ceiling in a bedroom is not a code violation and an electrician would not have a problem installing. Is this correct? Again thanks for your help.

W
is not a code violation and an electrician would not have a problem installing. Is this correct?

My personal opinion as an electrician;

If you asked me to install it after I had explained to you the hazards involved and how it would most likely be my insurance liability that would come into play if something did go wrong and you still wanted it installed, I would have to say NO thank you!

What are you fishin' for?

Hope this helps!
Dave

Dave
W
A bare bulb in a porcelan fixture in the ceiling of the bedroom doesn't look pretty. Besides you can get one of those China made light fixtures for around $20 retail. That's certinally a small portion of the fees you'd charge a customer for the wiring job. [Linked Image]

S
Rob:

A porcelain lampholder is a pretty neutral and out-of-the-way type fixture for a room in my humble opinion. It blends in with a white ceiling.

If the room is high enough (most rooms I've seen are about 8-feet if not higher) there should be no danger of banging your head into the bulb. I wouldn't put one in a 6-foot room...are there any 6 foot rooms? That seems a little ... low even for a runt like me at 5'8".

These porcelain lampholders used to be standard-issue in a lot of city-government built apartments (like my mom's). We moved into one in 1988 and all the ceiling fixtures were, and still are, pull-chain porcelain lampholders (a better quality than what is available now -- this was a 1950s vintage building).

There used to be also these little clip-on shades you could put on the fixture so you could dress up the bulb a bit if you wanted. I dunno if they're still sold.

Also, compared to the quality of many of these "made-in-China" fixtures, I'd take the standard Leviton or Eagle Electric porcelain socket any day.

At least the screwshell won't rotate out of the fixture when I go to change the bulb like the lampholders do in a lot of fancy schmanzy fixtures and ceiling-fan light kits....and it is significantly cheaper (at two dollars compared to 20).!! [Linked Image]

Just...don't _mount_ it_in_a_closet!!!!

Why not have an electrician mount recessed hi-hats in the celing ?

That would seem to be the neatest solution....or recessed strip-fluorecent lighting? Is that still made by the way? There's a recessed fluorecent fixture in the concrete ceiling in my building's lobby (circa 1940s).

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-26-2003).]

Our building Codes (So CA)have required a minimum headroom of 6'6" for as long as I can remember.
Another alternative in a closet is to use a recessed downlight with a lense over the lamp. It makes for a nicer looking installation than a surface mounted fluorescent fixture...S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard