ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#25852 05/21/03 07:51 PM
Ditto on all said here!! Glad to see all in agreement.

Obsaleet

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
#25853 05/21/03 07:52 PM
E
Whenever I've had a customer want to purchase materials, I will take out my cost, but the markup/proffit stays in the bid. I don't like it because they rarely get the right stuff. I've had several customers try this and just before the job tell me to go ahead and get the stuff for them.

#25854 05/21/03 11:59 PM
M
I hear you loud and clear Gasparky,just went through the same process last year,had a customer that wanted us to rough it in but no-finish. I canceled the finish permit which upset him, He couldn't get his lights to work (Three and 4 ways)He had out the ol black and decker book HEHE. So when I went back to fix his crappy work, I also charged severely, increasing this customers pucker factor.....For these very same reasons I am now a maintenance electrician for a printing outfit...

A sincere good luck and when you drive by and see your competitions truck outside just know that during the same time period you were out making money.

#25855 05/22/03 10:15 PM
I can't tell you the number of times that I've done the same thing that Eagle described. When I was estimating, the big word was "value engineering". Value engineering is a fancy term which means, "cut the guts out of it." I can't tell you the number of projects that I lost because the GC would take the lowest 2 bids, and have us value engineer the project. The project that I was first on was lost because the other EC "cut more guts out" than I did.
'56,
I would worry about more than just the material on this project. I would worry about getting paid even for your labor. Watch out for people like this.

Bid Breakdown?.....Nervous Breakdown,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#25856 05/22/03 10:49 PM
G
Thanks for the input! I've tried this a few times and it never seemed to work out well. I just wanted to see if someone else had a good,workable way to do this.

Just as a footnote,the work is on some new buildings at a lodge/campground/retreat.
I can't find out who really owns the place,only the manager,who is a fast talking,high intimidation type who almost had a stroke when she read the line in my bid that said"all invoices to be due on Friday of week submitted". It's a business not a job.YUP!

Russell

#25857 05/23/03 05:09 PM
N
I have learned the hard way that you NEED to know who the owner is. If the manager/agent avoids that question, pay problems are much more likely.

ed
#25858 05/23/03 05:58 PM
T
I've done the same thing (well,almost) I had a home builder that wanted to furnish all of the materials so I just did the job per manhour. Frustrating waiting on him to return from the big box store for the third or forth time to get the right material, but hey, I was being paid by the hour. [Linked Image]
If I were to do a job with a quoted price on labor and the owner/builder furnishing materials, I would not start it until ALL of the materials required for the job were on the jobsite and would charge him for my time to doublecheck his purchases.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 05-23-2003).]

Donnie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard