ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 472 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
All of the above is true and good advice. I recently tore my rotator cuff had recently had surgery to correct the problem (injury was from playing basketball). I started out as an apprentice in July of 1960. I recently celebrated my 47th wedding anniversay.

I was fortunate when I started, we didn't have to carry that pipe up a ladder. We climbed the ladder dropped a rope down, dragged a pic up and set it between the trusses, dropped the rope back down and had floor person (journeyman) tie rope on RMC and hauled it up hand over hand by the rope. Hot, dirty, and hard work. Much easier now; with JLGs and lifts.

Bottom line, if hard work bothers you find something else. IMO there is no better job anywhere, anyplace than being an electrician. Never ever trust anyone in terms of your own safety; you are responsible for your safety. I have made many friends over the years. Some from the electrical trade, some from other trades, some from engineers, some from inspectors.
Don't tell the engineers or inspectors I said that though, they'll get a bigger head.

S
I started in this trade a little late in life. I was a machinist for many years before the shop closed. 2.5 Years ago at the tender and young age of 45 I began my apprenticeship. I just surpassed 5000 hours and a year and a half left before I can take the test for my license. I found the cold to be my downfall. Here in massachuttes it does get cold. There are also many tools that you can use that were not available years ago. Best advice I can give is to try to stay in shape, work safe, and remember if the Journeyman is yelling its his bloodpressure. But like anything else it has good points and bad. I think a lot of craftsmanship is gone out the window in the pursuit of the dollar. LOVE BUCKET TRUCK work. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard