ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
frank Offline OP
Installed a single phase pressure switch today and when it came time to terminate i questioned the fact that the neutral would open with the switch.I rarely work single phase but have seen this done before.Is it right to wire the neutral through the switch since it does not have to be? thanks

Z
frank,- What was this switch for? Need more info. Thanks.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
E
The only time I see controls with neutrals that are switched usually come from overseas(ex. Taiwan) I would not recommend the practice. Is it possible it is intended to disconnect a single phase 208 volt control. I know...I am reaching. Hard to answer without more info.

frank,
There's nothing wrong with switching the Neutral as long as the Phase opens and closes at the same time(by the same switch).

F
frank Offline OP
Sorry that was so vague. It’s a used 3/4hp 125 volt jockey pump for a sprinkler system. They were jogging the 50hp between 75-100psi.The fire protection company had pipe fitters installed everything but the wiring.I think it was a square D the type where you take the cover off from top.And is rated 208/120v.

C
Frank,

This is just a standard 2-pole pressure switch and is commonly used for 240 volt motors. If your using it for a 120 volt motor just switch the hot of your motor and don't connect anything to the other pole of the switch.

Curt

Curt Swartz
F
frank Offline OP
caselec,
That’s exactly what I would think but a buddy that does machine build for the big three and their feeder plants says the same as trumpy.To be honest neither way looks right to me for some odd reason?Trumpy do you do machine build?Maybe this is a personal preference thing.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 05-17-2003).]

B
Frank, for fire-pump installations, I don’t think that is a stupid question at all.

In the US, I'd be carefully looking over NFPA 20 and the drawings/specs provided by the pump-controller producer. [There is likely a Canadian-equivalent standard.] They may have specific requirements that are substantially different from ordinary inside wiring. Fire-pump installations are nothing to second guess on. Also, I’d find out if the SqD pressure switch is specifically listed for jockey-pump duty. A misapplication could have serious consequences.

Link Copied to Clipboard