ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25556 05/12/03 10:10 PM
N
I need your help guys........
I am in the process of upgrading my 100A overhead service with a 200A underground service. The questions I have are:

1. Is there a minimum distance from the boiler that my service has to be from the boiler. I know that metering equipment can't be in a boiler room, but does that apply to a main sevice panel?

2. Do I need a hand-hold or can I go directly from the pole to the meter?

3. I have to run phone/cable in the same trench. Is there a spacing requirement with the electrical and other conduits?

I have never done an underground service and any input would be appreciated. Thanks

#25557 05/12/03 10:51 PM
R
Well, I'm not an electrician, or in the position to recite code, BUT, I just had my 100/60/100A service upgraded to 200A underground, in which I buried my phone and cable in the same trench with. I followed the phone/cable/POCO company recommendation of 12" inch spacing from feeders. Cable and phone were run together. Can't say its legit everywhere, but it worked here. What a mess backfilling that trench.

#25558 05/13/03 01:28 AM
M
The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location outside or the nearest point of entrance of service conductors ( 230-70(a) ). Rule of thumb 2 times the length of Service Panel or no distance greater than five feet, which ever distance is the shortest from the out side of building. So in a lot of cases that service disconnect will need to be outside.

Depending on the dwelling type (Standard house) NOT PREFAB or Modular,in my area northern minnesota,you may run unfused to your meter base then on to your service. You need to have 3 ft of a panel clearance and make it readily accessible RE: Dont hang it over a sink,dryer,washer,water heater,furnace...I have seen them all.

Place the meter in a readily accessible location for your meter man, RE: OUTSIDE.

What I have been installing in rural areas is a Farm panel with a built in meter 200 amp feed through, and eight breaker locations ,I place that out at the pedestal,sub feed all of the out buildings, the garage, the well and the septic. The meter man can read the meter at the end of the driveway.

Now as far as I know the panel clearances cover you on the boiler,The reason the metering can't be down there is you cannot run your unfused service conductors through the house, as well as you cant have the meter inside.
I have worked joint plant construction (Where telephone cable and power are run in the same trench) BUT WE HAD A DEEP TRENCH, Don't think you can dig a 2 ft trench and throw it all in, Your phone is the one that suffers the most. Especially when they are run parralel. Its done all over 12 inches of clearnce from feeders but, I just don't recommend it myself. If your cutting one trench, cut two and no troubles.

Hope this helps...

#25559 05/13/03 05:12 PM
B
http://www.pge.com/002_biz_svc/pdf/sect5.pdf page 10 for example of a typical setup.

Regional utilities will vary. One buzzphrase is “joint-service trench.”

Link Copied to Clipboard